Comments on BagEnd cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kgantzer, Apr 13, 2004.

1. kgantzer

Mar 6, 2004
    I am looking into BagEnd cabinets for my bass guitar. Any thoughts - good or bad? Any comparisons done with other brands?
  2. kgantzer

Mar 6, 2004
    How do they perform?
    Are they exceptionally loud?
    Do they handle low notes (i.e. Low B) well?
    Are they well built? Will they last?
    What types of music or styles are they well suited ... Rock, Funk, Slap, Jazz, pick or finger-style, etc.?
  3. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Performance- fine.
    Loud- medium loud.
    Reliable- very solid.
    Type of Music- any, pretty flexible

My S-D15s are keepers.
  4. I used the 4x10 (with coaxial speaker) and the 2x12 (without horn) for quite some time. I personally preferred the 2x12 over the 4x10. It is super compact, has 4 ohm, so it takes the full power of your amp, and it handles my low A (I D-tune) with ease.

Clarity wise it comes very close to the EA CXL112. It has a little more low end and definitely does not need a horn. All in all a very versatile cabinet that fits in almost any car trunk.

5. toytech

Mar 22, 2004
    San Leandro
    I have an older 15" that I play with an gk400rb andit is amazingly loud for the watts, no problem with the b string either.
  6. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The Bag End guys are great and are located in the next 'burb over from me. I had a chance to demo several rigs at the factory a couple of years ago and was very impressed. Also tried Heavy Duty's rig...sounded great, and LOUD! :D They're primarily known for their small 15" cabs, which make for a very portable rig. It just happens that my personal preference is 10s and felt that other cabs fit my needs better than the Bag End 10 cabs. They make a great speaker cab though, and are well-respected in the home audio market as well.
  7. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I've owned a 2-12 Bag End for over 20 years. It's built better than any bin I have ever seen. It's been dropped, knocked down, and drowned in 8 inches of water in my basement and it still works great!

It is efficient, toneful, and true to my instrument. While it's not my only cab, it will always be in my arsenal as a great choice for many gigs.

The customer service is the best -- no kidding, no hyperbole. The best.
  8. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    I dont use BE for my bass rig. I use TA2000's and S18E-C's for my PA. I cna say that the people at BE are great to talk and will answer your questions no matter how nuch you bug them. Also, their gear is heavy duty. My TA2K's are built like tanks. If you are in the market for a compact 15" or 18" sub, I would definately reccomend BE.
  9. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I own two of the 15 cabs, one small one larger. They are plenty loud and handle lots of power. I regularly pump 500 watts each into them. As far as handling the low "B" goes, I've learned here that one bass player's well handled low B is another bass player's "mud". So let your ears decide. They are very well built, 13 ply plywood I believe. As far as sound, the 15's have a very good midrange. They do a great job of cutting through a loud band mix. Do a search and you'll get lot's more info on Bag End cabs.