Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comments on my rig project, please...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JayAmel, Aug 18, 2003.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    hi,

i'm about to build my future rig step by step.

i figured out i'd rather get distinct elements instead of a standard rig, so that i can increase versitily and evolutivity.

since i love the subtle driven tone colour my sabddi gives to my rickenbacker 4003 and ampeg b-100r, one thing is sure about this rig : the preamp will be a tech 21 sansamp rbi.

so the rig will be made of :

- tech 21 sansamp rbi
    - qsc rbx1450
    - ampeg svt-810e
    - samson s-com
    - lexicon mpx110
    - all this racked in a 6u skb case

i'd like all your comments about the rig

thanks in advance,

all the best,
    jl

2. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    of, course "all this" does not include the svt-810e :)

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    o.k. I've spent about 15min analyzing your "rig" so these are not casual remarks.

Tech21 RBI Yes! I like very much. I've had BassPod, chorus, and delay pedals, RBI is the most usefull "effect" I've EVER used. I know your using it as preamp, GREAT!

Lexicon? Do you play songs with alot of effects? Most bass players do not except for some chorus or overdrive. you will get soft overdrive from RBI.

Samson Compression Good for slapping or mild compression to bring out more tone of guitar, Good Choice!

Amp may be small for 810, you might consider largest watts you can afford. check out yamamha cp2000 2000w into 4 mono or 1000w/ch stereo. they are closing out this model, but its good!! $400 USD on musiciansfriend.

Why SVT 810? Just because everyone else wants one? I understand wanting a BIG RIG, but the SVT is 165 Lbs, your B100 is 65 Lbs. are you willing to carry that much weight around EVERYTIME you play out?? Consider a couple of 410s or 410 and 15?? and maybe a luggage cart www.kart-a-bag.com tri800?

I wish I had the money your about to spend I'd get http://www.euphonicaudio.com/index.cfm?page=iamp800

Good luck on your sounde!

4. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Thanks Mcrelly ! OK, let's go...

OK

I want a multi-effect because on some songs I'll have to use some delay, or chorus, or flanger, or reverb, essentially on a fretless bass.

OK. Just found one used in perfect condition for 90 EUR (half its price as new)

Both aspects (amp + cab) must be checked as one. First, I want an Ampeg cab. I simply love them.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if I take 2 SVT-410HLF instead of 1 SVT-810E, I'll have to run stereo, not mono. And just for having the same power than with a SVT-810E and a RMX1450, I'll have to go RMX2450, much more expensive. 2 SVT-410HLF are more pricey than 1 SVT-810E, too. But that's a fact, it's huge and heavy.

Many thanks !

5. There's one thing about an 8x10.

Someone with an 8x10 always get help from someone else. But with 4x10's you have to carry it yourself.

6. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    good point, kaz !

but either svt-810e or svt-410hlf have casters and tilt back

all the best
    jl

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Maybe with all that rack gear, a power conditioner/light and maybe a tuner would come in handy.

Sounds like a nice rig, too.

8. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Hey Jean,

just a couple of comments...

First,
    I just picked up an RBI last week. Haven't used it at full volume yet with a band, but I spent some time with it over the weekend. It is a really versatile pre-amp! Sounds good for a solidstate amp too. I think they really nailed it with the tube emulation circuitry. Although the controls of the front panel look very simplistic, they are in fact very useful. Every slight turn in the eq changes the sound quite a bit.

My only complaint about the RBI thus far is the lack of mute button. It would be nice to have this feature and have it operatable via footswitch.

Second,
    I agree that you should get two cabs in place of the 8x10. Don't worry about not having enough power. You should be able to run your amp in bridged mode and connect two 8 ohm cabs together to get all the power your amp can deliver. For many gigs you may only want one smaller cab. Go with a 410 and either a 212 or a 115.

Good luck...putting together a rig is fun!

9. My opinion.

810 is too large...

I haven't heard of good multi-effect yet. Why not getting a separate (overdrive, chorus etc.) pedals?

Jure

10. jaffabass

jaffabass

Mar 28, 2002
    The 810 and 410HLF do both tilt back with castors meaning you can wheel them about on your own, but try lifting them up stairs without any help!!!!!

I've played quite a few non ground floor venues with narrow staircases leading upto them and getting my old 410HLF up to them was a total pain, in the end that was the reason why i sold the thing. I replaced it with Ampeg 2*10 and 1*15 which still sound great and have been much easier to handle allowing me the freedom to be independent in terms of loading in and out. The 410HLF actually put me off taking my rig out to play cos even getting it in and out of the car/van on my own was like this :( :bawl:

The reasons why we see so many 810s on tv are, yes they sound (and look) magic, but also those bands have a road crew who are paid to move heavy equipment.

As the other guys said, i would go for a couple of smaller cabs. They'll give you more independence and save your back. :)

11. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    yes i know about the weight problem related to svt810e and svt410hlf

but both these cabs have a far deeper sound than any 1x15 or 2x10, even used in combination

do i have to make a sacrifice in tone because of weight ? i'm really not sure. also my band mates are kind, and we all help each other when there's something to move or carry

but once again, yes i know these cabs are damn heavy

really unsure what i'll finally do

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Keep us updated on the 810 decision.

13. I just ordered one of the Bergantino NV-610 cabs. I'm really looking forward to this alternative sound. I've got several other Bergs but this is the really different one and supposed give the Ampeg 8x10 sound only much more in a much smaller and lighter package. 98lb. You may want to consider one of these.

14. JayAmel

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    wow 750w in a 98 lbs can indeed be interesting

thanks big string,

i just have to ask bergantino where i can order their products, since i live in europe...

all the best
    jl

15. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If you have the money, I would go for the RMX1850HD. It's an over-engineered amp designed to take a lot of abuse.

I really wanted one when I bought my rig, but no local dealers had any in stock and the one I bought my other stuff from made me a really good deal on a PLX1602.

I don't know if Lord Valve ships overseas, but he gave me a really good price on a 1850. I was just too impatient to wait for shipping.

Here's his website.