Comments on this DP Custom

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BFunk, Jul 23, 2002.

1. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I have worked up a design for a DP Custom bass. It looks like it will be better for me to have Dave build a bass to my specs than build one from warmoth parts. Anyway this is a 5 string fretless, 34" scale. (I will be using Thomastik-Infeld jazz flats.) Bill Lawrence J-45's and passive electronics. (I am sure Bill will come up with something interesting in the electronics department.) Neck is wenge/paduk/wenge. Body wings are solid lacewood. Fingerboard will likely be gaboon ebony, but I am not set on this. (I'll see what Dave says.)

Anyway here are the pics. Tell me what you think:

2. Listen

May 19, 2002
    I like the headstock, I would like the body, but that top horn is just not for me, if it works for you though...
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really like that headstock too...
  4. RedV

Mar 19, 2002
    Eustis, FL
    The headstock is rad. If you maybe shortened that top horn, bring the curve in a little(flatter) it would look totally rad to me.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    No sir, I don't like it. It doesn't look enough like a Fender.
  6. EEbass04

Dec 28, 2001
    Lee's Summit:MO
    reminds me of the Dean Rhapsody:rolleyes: I like it though. I'm not the biggest fan of fretless, but whatever floats your boat
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Any one hear of Carl Thopmson?

Its pretty cool though.

8. Hmm...where'd you get the idea for that headstock?
    A certain Finely Built Bass?

9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    A Clog Headstock! I love it!

The lower horn could be a bit less phallic?

I wonder how the combination of flats and wenge neck-through would sound. What tone are you going for?
  10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I agree with Munji.
  11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Fender-a-like: Yep, I'll admit it. It is basically a play on the Jazz body. I am somewhat of a traditionalist and wanted to keep some of the Fender style.

FBB headstock: I did get 'inspired' by him and others. From looking at the pictures on Matt's site, I couldn't tell you what his standard HS is. I really like his designs, very organic.

Carl Thompson: The only design reference to CT is the scrolled horn IMO. That has been part of luthiery for centuries.

Clog Headstock: never though of that. I think the body looks sort of like the picture of the Lock Ness seamonster and it's reflection that you see all the time.

Phallic Lower Horn: Yeah, but as usual it is pointing down.
  12. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    your picture looks pretty close to the bass that Brooks is having built by dave pushic. his is turning out great.
  13. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    Now that one looks an awful lot like a Ritter.
  14. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    if you make the lower horn about half of the size it is now, it would perfectly fit my taste also.
    But of course it's only your taste that matters! ;)

Will the scroll be plain or carved?

Nice design!

15. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Peter, you smug bastard, you and your subliminal messages...;)
  16. I'm just sayin', that headstock is virtually identical to the one on my bass. It's like putting a Yamaha Attitude and a Sadowsky 4-banger next to one another.
  17. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Probably a little carving. I'll have to talk to Dave about that. Thanks for the compliment.

I guess a lot of guys are saying the horn is a little too extreme. I find it close to the edge of overdone, but not quite. I like that about it. I wanted to convey a sense of motion. I think it does this.
  18. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Yeah, it looks like an FBB, but it also looks like a Yamaha TRB series too. It also looks a little like a Roscoe, or a Fodera.

There is nothing new under the sun my friend.

The value is in getting the body and headstock to look like they are part of a unified design. If it looks like a Sadowsky body and a FBB HS slammed together, then haven't achieved my goal. I think the parts work together. The original sketches show the whole bass. Maybe I will put that up. (It's just line drawings. The photoshop montage let me see how the woods would look together.)

Funny thing: my wife think it looks like Prince's cloud guitar. That surprised me!
  19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    it looks like the bridge isn't very safe, as the top left corner isn't even on the bass.

...but that's just a rough sketch, right?
  20. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Bridge and pickup placement are really TBD. I am hoping Dave will give me direction on this.