1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comments please on this Frankenfender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Max, May 22, 2012.

1. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    So I am in Pittsburgh for the very first time visiting my son. A guitar store was NOT on the itinerary for today but we're on E. Carson and a couple people in the car need a pit stop and by fate we come to a stop in front of Pittsburgh Guitars. In I go and there are several cool basses. What catches my eye is a creme colored PJ with a yellowing, glorious mother of toilet seat pickguard and white-ish EMG pickups with faded gold lettering.

It has a CIJ Fender reissue neck. The sale card says "2006 PJ Special." I know better looking at the funky higher mass bridge that has a logo named "Smith" in cursive, it's an aftermarket pickguard that is really thick but is just one ply, and a flat black input jack. At first I am ticked about what I am sure is a misrepresentation:

But I plug it in and it sounds just stunning. Never owned something with EMGs, but it has such great honk I am really starting to love it. Low action, pots are smooth, no fret buzzing, little fretwear, one of those great amber tinted CIJ reissue necks. I have no idea where the body comes from. But it's light, resonant, it's dialed in. Bought it on the spot out the door $325.

So I'm home with it. Here are some poor quality pics to prove it did happen.

[​IMG][/IMG]

IMG_0496.gif

414.gif

Serial number for the CIJ neck is S020339, which makes it a 93-94 according to the Interwebs. Neck plate is A0976 and that doesn't match anything. That's a Johnson neckplate for all I know.

Don't have the tools to take it apart here at the hotel. Was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the EMGs. We put in a new 9v in the back. How long do the batteries last in something like this? Anybody think I paid too much? Couldn't get an SX and have upgrades like this for the same price. Oozing mojo.

Came with a nice new Fender padded gig bag as well.

2. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    But it looks good and quite like a deal for the price.

EMGs can be really brilliant soundin' but again: is it a basswood
    body? They could match...

If it's alder, they can cope

Cheers,
    Wallace

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like it. It's different but pretty cool. For that price, I wouldn't worry too much if the body lineage might be suspect. Not saying that it is, but it could be, though I can't tell from those photos. EMG's are pretty cool, too. Massive sounding yet quite clean. The batteries a good long time, like over a thousand hours, but most of us with EMG's will change them every few months.

4. tocs100

tocs100 Utah Bass of Doom, Metal DJ @ leafpileradio.com

Sep 16, 2007
    Ogden, UT
    Any more info on those emg's? Are they for sale possibly?

5. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    zombie bump instead of PMing him?

6. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    What bridge is that? Looks like a copy of a BadAss II

7. tocs100

tocs100 Utah Bass of Doom, Metal DJ @ leafpileradio.com

Sep 16, 2007
    Ogden, UT
    My pm box is ALWAYS 97% full. Besides, do a search for white bass pickups on eBay (let alone EMG's) and see the small results. Both he and I want to know the what and where's!