Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comments Re: Defretting an MTD 535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mjw, May 13, 2003.

1. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Are there any MTD 535 owners/players here who have had their 535 de-fretted? If so, I'm very curious as to the outcome, and your "pre vs. post-de-fretting) opinions.

I recently had another of my 5-stringers de-fretted and it turned out so great that I fell in love with it all over again. So, I'm seriously considering having my 535 de-fretted as well, but considering the cost of the bass, I wanted to gather your opinions first.

Any comments (positive or negative) are appreciated.

Regards,

Mike

2. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    I don't own a 535, or anything anywhere near that class of instrument, but if I did, I wouldn't do it. I would probably just call Mike Tobias and see if I could get a fretless neck for it. I would hate to ruin the value of such an expensive instrument by defretting it.

Plus I hear the zero fret thing makes it extremely difficult to do....

just my 2 cents...

3. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Good point! I forgot about the zero fret. :)

4. Sell it and buy a 535 fretless.

5. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I would not defret a bass of that value for any reason. I would either get a new neck or a new bass rather than defret it.

6. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Wouldn't it work out if you'd defret all frets except the zero fret?

7. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
    Might, but I think it might affect how low you could get the action. On a fretless I think you want it as close to the board as possible....

8. dabshire

dabshire

Dec 15, 2002
    McKinney, TX
  9. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    I agree with everyone else. I would not de-fret that bass. I've went down this same road a few years ago. I wanted a MTD-535 fretless with some particular wood combinations, but didn't want to pay the cost of a new one or wait for one to be built, so I started looking for a used fretted version with the thoughts of converting it. I tried to work a deal with Mike to trade necks with him or just buy a fretless neck, but he wasn't interested in either option, and he discouraged me from de-fretting the bass. I ended up buying an F Bass.

JD

10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Hey man it your bass and your deniro that you've spend but if you do it and it doesn't sound the way you would like it to sound,then you're up S%*#'s creek with a hole in the boat,and with out a paddle my friend.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN !:eek: :eek:

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    It could be an expensive experiment if it doesn't work out. Leaving the zero fret intact will limit how low you can get the strings, especially near first position. Remove the zero fret and you'd have to move the nut or deal with not being able to play on the lines. I personally wouldn't do it but since it's not my bass...

:bassist:

If you defret but leave the zero fret alone, you'd be out the cost of a fretjob to return it to as it was before.