Comments Re: Defretting an MTD 535

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mjw, May 19, 2003.

1. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Just wanted to jump in and say thanks to all who responded to my [now closed ;)] thread regarding defretting my MTD 535.

After considering everyones coments, I've decided not to do it. I really love this particular bass and have no desire to part with it and you're right, it could just prove to be a very expensive experiment.

So I'm going to play it safe and start saving for a fretless 535. It won't be anytime soon, but at some point I'll have another 535 in my in stable.

Thanks again for your comments.

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I also agree, good decision. I was entertaining a trade for my 535f, and when the prospective trader asked about having frets put in it, I kiboshed the whole deal, these aren't basses to mess with. Another point not mentioned in the closed thread-my fretless does not have the 0 fret, so unless that was a fluke, another reason not to do it.
  3. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Wow. You've got more b@lls than I do. I would never consider defretting such an expensive instrument. I'm glad you didn't. The MTDs are a beautiful piece of work. I'd hate to see someone mess with such a finely crafted instrument.

Good luck with your new fretless MTD when you get it.