1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Commercial AMp vs. Power Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geddabass, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Geddabass

Geddabass

Jan 23, 2012
    Hello Fellow Bassers,

I`ve discovered, after years of playing, that in general I`m not pleased with most brand name, bass-specific amplifiers. I switch between a 4003, a Fender P-SPecial, & a T40 ran into a Sansamp DI, which gives me all the tonal diversity I feel I need. When I use my own speakers I switch between a 2-15 or a 210/18. Both cabs are rated 200w @4ohms.

With this in mind, I`m looking for a power amp, no tonal variations whatsoever. But since I`m relatively new to this concept, I`m looking for any suggestions on an amp that is reliable, but won`t break the bank.

Any input would be appreciated.

2. Zoa

Zoa

Dec 28, 2009
    I'd look at the Peavey IPR series.

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    "won't break the bank" is too ambiguous. QSC, Crown, Peavey...

4. Geddabass

Geddabass

Jan 23, 2012
    Trying not to sound like the tight-ass that I am. Let`s just say somewhere in the $2-400 price range.

Any personal experience with the IPR`s?

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yep.

I have an IPR 3000, which is probably twice as much amp as you need. I got it last spring and have used it alone since, for all practices and shows. Its been a solid performer, and I have no complaints. The 3000 cost me $379, the IPR 1600 would run you 300 or less.

6. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Crown XLS1500 is worth looking at. It hits the price point, has ample power, and is lightweight.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'd say that your first bet is to check the input sensitivity of whatever amps you're interested in and make sure that your Sansamp provides enough output voltage...that may weed out some choices.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Power amps sound all the same.
    Just a matter of gain matching.
    Maybe tweaking some EQ

Look for features, these are some I'd recommend:
    RMS, EIA, or best FTC ratings on the wattage
    Lightweight
    Good warranty - 3 years or better, no hassle exchange. Transferable warranty for resale value.
    High Pass Filter, AKA Rumble Filter, should be 40hz of possibly up to 60hz. variable is best.
    For a little extra $$ you can usually add a DSP. Which gives you all kinds of extra EQ, and built in crossovers. And much easier to interface to various pre-amps to iPads
    Speakon connectors
    Low impedance stability
    Bridge to 4 ohms

Feb 1st Behringer goes to 3 year warranties, so this will be a sweet deal.
    Behringer iNUKE NU1000 | Sweetwater.com
    iNuke 1000 actual RMS ratings are listed at Behringer.com
    Bridged is
    750W @ 4ohm
    430W @ 8ohm

Peavey IPR DSP is the only brand with "Waves" plugins built in. Like MaxxBass. MaxxBass can really get the most out of a weak cabinet. Or if you just wanted to carry smaller cabinets.

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have a Waves Maxxbass 103 that I use at home with my Alesis powered studio monitors (M1 520's) and its a really awesome little unit. Didn't work for me in my bass rig (the 107 was designed for MI use, and if you have speakers that go deep already, it's an unnecessary redundancy). The first time you use it and go between activated and bypass, it's pretty stunning.

For anyone who uses 'standard' bass cabs or bass cabs that roll off above 50hz (aka many production cabs) this should be considered.

My next step is to research their plug-ins for recording.

10. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    I have an IPR1600 in my PA rack. I've also used it a few times for bass. Good little amp. Haven't had any problems.

I know there's at least one other TBer with IPRs in his PA rack.

11. marantz10

marantz10 Master Bass Playa

Oct 21, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I own a Crown XTI2000 and purchased it for $350 used here on TB. It's louder than anything I could ever want, has all kinds of nifty features (programable with a USB interface), and at around 20 pounds, I'm definitely not complaining. From what I've read about the amp, I could run it stereo to two 810's, but for now, I just run it bridge mono @ 2000 watts into my 810. I love that company (Crown) though.

12. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i recently made the move from Micro-Amp to a racked component system. it takes over where the Micro left off in terms of useable wattage. the added headroom is worth the added poundage, FTW.

image-3810957020.

13. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    +1

14. Geddabass

Geddabass

Jan 23, 2012
    Thanks to all for your advice. Got a helluva lot more to think about than I previously considered. My mind is still stuck in late 80`s technology.