Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Commercial users policy revisited

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Mike Dimin, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I have noticed that certain companies with close financial/marketing and/or distribution ties other have been pimping each others products. I can find no language in the CUP that addresses this issue. I find this to be a real issue, considering I cannot "sing the praises" of gear that I endorse but have no other financial relationship to.

Sincerely,
    Mike Dimin

2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I'm certainly glad SOMEONE else noticed this. Apparently the mods are so into this stuff,that they're pimping it too. It's really annoying. I get P.M.'s from the mods when I answer questions about gear I deal with, yet this crap continues on other fronts. Just because certain things are the "topic of the month" shouldn't be a reason to disregard the rules. Oh well.
    Corey

3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I emailed Paul about this exact issue and was told that the mods have the right to say what they want. By not requiring the mods to be impartial, you give them the discretion to delete certain questionable posts about gear they do not like, while they might leave that same post about gear the do.

In fact, recently a mod stated on a post that he was sorry he had to take the post down, even though he was sure it is a great product. (even though he never tried it). That is just the BS I am talking about.

Mike

4. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    I find it entertaining that the mods can say whatever they want, but can delete posts that they don't like.
    This is exactly why I've not become a supporting member yet. At one point I P.M.ed a mod about a thread that was way out of line with the new Commercial User Policy, and he told me that I was whining, and that if I was a supporting member it would have more clout. I told him that this was exactly the reason I WASN'T a supporting member, and he returned with..."If you can't cough up $25.00, we don't really need you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Corey

5. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Corey,

Next time anything like this happens please let me know - CC me on correspondence, forward it to me, whatever. Supporting members should not receive or be shown any preference over regular users.

Paul

6. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    I do not require moderators to cease using TalkBass to talk about bass, gear, or whatever else. They are regular members who have volunteered a big chunk of their day to try and keep TalkBass clean with no compensation. If you believe a mod is showing preference to a particular brand by deleting competing posts or other preferencial behavior, by all means email me examples!

Also, you should not get "PM's from the mods when answering questions about gear you deal with". The CUP allows you to respond to direct questions. Nobody's perfect - the moderators have a lot of 'stuff' to go through every day and mistakes can be made. You always have my email as an option if you feel you've been moderated inappropriately.

Paul