Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Mar 17, 2005.

1. so, i was just watching these to people dancing together, and in the end they are advertising tires. is it just me or are commercials really getting weird? i have a feeling this topic has been done before, but either way, they are really getting weird! some of the commercials are just so weird that there is no telling what they are advertising...
    am i alone on this?
  2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Naw, you're not crazy. Lotsa commercials are stretchin' it. People are dancing for tires just like they also dance for Dr. Pepper. Fortunately some commercials are at least funny. But they are mostly annoying.
  3. Hey guys,
    My 9 to 5 is in advertising. The whole point of that is -- the client, the agency, the network, etc. they all have the same goal -- KEEP YOU TUNED IN! So if they have to do it by dressing a man in a bikini riding a tricycle, they'll do it. If they have to degrade women by constantly showing them as sex objects, they'll do it. If they have to show kids mouthing off to their parents, they'll do it. The common denominator is "keep you tuned in". The method or the content is irrelevant.

Sad but true.......
  4. But I've seen some comercials where I can't figure out what the hell they were trying to sell me. Now, I'm no expert, but that can't be good advertising at all.
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I do like the "Tiny House" reality show that turns into a Geico commercial.
  6. Commercials are cool. They are an artform unto themselves- Same with Jingles- you've got 15 or 30 seconds to get your point across and not have anyone change the channels on you.
  7. When I first saw that commercial, I thought to myself, "Ya know, that's not a bad idea for a reality show."
  8. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    When you think about it, TV really isn't about the shows. The shows just keep you tuned in for the commercials. So, essentially, the shows are irrelevant commercials for the commercials. :confused:
  9. Well, it's probably one of 4 scenarios going on there: you get an agency that was either given COMPLETE creative control over the commercial and got too stylized...OR you have an agency that made an overly avant-garde commercial and convinced the client that "this ad is so slick and different, you just HAVE to approve it"....OR you have an ego-centered Creative Director who thrust this ad on the air to stroke his own ego, not because it benefits the client...OR the client produced it and no one had the guts to say to him/her "that ad makes no sense at all!"

I've seen each of these happen.
  10. Radio is the same way. The music is just a way for you to stay tuned in. The BUSINESS is the commercials.
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's why the only radio I listen to is KCRW. :) On TV I just mute commercials.
  12. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    It's not only on TV, years ago, newspaper editors used to tell the advertising department how much space they could take up with ads. Now, its the other way around. I've become so numb to TV commercials, that I automatically tune them out. I watched about an our of cable news last night and I know there were several commercials shown during the program, but I don't recall any of them. Same thing with the Super Bowl, I watched quite a bit of the game, but don't recall one single commercial or remember the name of any company that ran them.