Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comming soon, Mesa 400+ !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nick man, Nov 2, 2003.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Alright guys heres the deal.

After about a year with my Eden pre-amp Ive decided that its just not the tone I want. I thought that a clean hi-fi'sh tone was what I wanted and what would be best for getting my lines out to the front of the stage, but after plenty of time and tweaking Ive found thats not the case.

I need growl, I need grind, I NEED TUBES!

Since Ive been working at Guitar Center Ive been going crazy trying out every amp in the damn store and I keep going back to the tube monsters.

The Ampeg SVT-CL, and the Mesa 400+.

Needless to say (the title gave it away) the Mesa wins. Im loving the growl and grunt I get from this beast when I push it and the footswitchable 7 band EQ is nice and versitile compared to the Ampeg (I have been using a 5 band semi-parametric) so I think its just the ticket. Im also considering switching between the two imput channels for different volume levels/tones. Add to that the fact that I have an extra 200 Watts available and my mind is made. Ill soon be getting one (GOD BLASS EMPLOYEE DISCOUNTS!)

Any cab ideas?

Im thikning something big and loud!

Bergantino NV610 or something similar would be cool but I havent tried one. I liked how my four string basses sounded through the SVT810 and the Mesa powerhouse cabs.

So how about some input on the head, and possible cabs?

Peace
    Nick

2. Nope, it's also a 300W head.;)

6l6s can dissipate 25W each (that's generous for some models) and there's 12 of them....

Not that it matters much, the 400+ is a great sounding, well built amp that is certainly loud enough for any situation. It bothers me a bit that Mesa is not really telling the truth about its power output. 500W is the amp's peak power on short transient peaks, not the continuous output. Pretty much any 300W amp can do peaks of 500W or more.....

Anyhoo, I really like the tone of the 400+ through the Powerhouse series cabs. They also sound real good through Ampeg 810s. Actually, they sound good through just about anything....:D

3. daychris

daychris

Nov 2, 2003
    West Virginia
    The 400+ is an awesome head.....after years of ampeg, line6, other solid state garbage, it's amazing.....I use an SWR henry the 8x8 or a Genz Benz 4-10xb.....just depends on the day. The 8x8 is so clear and crisp it's like pulling cotton from your ears.....and it's not too heavy (which is good for me because I'm skinny)....anyway, the 400+ has such amazing dynamic range it will open a whole new door for you. Playing soft= clean, then attack harder, then harder to get a bit of grit or distortion.....no effects needed. Just hands....Good choice:bassist:

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    You know what, I was suprised and kinda skeptical about that 500Watt spec also.

I figured it was too much of a difference for any small differences in the power section designs of the two amps but Mesa's power ratings always seemed on the conservative side with their solid state stuff Ive tried so I decided to go ahead and believe it.

Anywho.... nice rig dude, Imagine the 400+ on top of an Aguilar 412!

Peace
    Nick

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would try to track down one of Mesa's older cab designs if you want to cut through. The new ones sound good, but they are smoother sounding than the old designs. Look for an old 1516be - that would be a great mate for the 400+.

6. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    basstriaxis....

I see a lot of Zvex stuff listed in your post....I assume you like it....?

I have wondered about it, but their stuff is kinda high for a 'what the heck" purchase, and I haven't had a chance to try any of their stuff out.

Any comments you would make about it? Any particularly good ones?

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks for the cab recomendations, Ill keep an eye out.

Im really uncertain as far as the cab goes. A Berg 6-10 sounds like the killer option from what Ive heard about them, but so do some 2-15 cabs and the Aggie 4-12.

Im not nescesarily looking for something high end and expensive but Im willing to spend the cash for a nice big stack.

Other cabs on my mind include:

2 Ampeg 410HE cabs
    Eden 410XLT, 212XLT, 215XLT
    Harke 215BXL
    Aggie 212, 412, 410

What do you guys think?

Peace
    Nick

8. I'm running my 400+ through a BE Q10BX-D. Highly recommended. That low growl and grunt is clearly defined, and i get a bit more high end because of the co-ax speaker.

9. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would have PM'd or emailed you, but you don't have that setup. Being as this is in the amps forum, I am not going to derail it with my effects babble. I've posted alot about the ZVex in FX; email me if you want more info. :cool:

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not into the idea of dropping in speakers into a cab they arent made for. Having built a cab and gone through all the trouble to make sure its all matched up right I just cant see myself doing that. There is the chance I might build myself a cab for it though.

The Bergs I mentioned are from the NV or "New Vintage" series. The 6-10 is supposed to be a lot like the Ampeg 8-10. No tweeter or hi end clarity mumbo jumbo like the other Bergs.

Im actually looking for something that either has no tweater, can have the tweeter turned off, or sounds good with the tweater turned off so I can really overdrive this thing without all that anoying hiss and other trash.

Dont the EB cabs have a mid driver instead of a tweeter? Hows that handle top end with distortion?

Maybe Ill get two of the 2-12 cabs.

The bag ends sound interesting too. Is there a level control for the coaxial tweeter?

Peace
    Nick

11. Fab rig pal. Don't sweat those wattages, the 400+ was almost always TOO loud for me (that tube watts vs. SS watts discussion again..) Mine sounded God-like with the two RR cabs I had (oh, about 100 lbs a piece!) Eden cabs NEVER sounded good to me with MEsa heads, far to mushy and soft sounding.
    And if you want growl...I have setting you can look up in a search of this forum that involves plugging into both channels at once; a world of difference.
    enjoy...

12. I have a Mesa 400+ and two EB 2x12's. I get some nice tube grind out of those mid-drivers without the harshness of the tweeters.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    When's the next time you guys are playing around Miami?

Im dying to hear that rig. If I like it I might get something similar.

Peace
    Nick

14. we are going to be playing on Nov. 22 at Kaffe. Some local palooza thing they are doing. If you want tickets let me know. The bands now have to sell their own tickets in order to play. Sucks but this is one of the few places in miami where we can play.

Ps. I'll give u a discount.;)

15. I pm'd you but your mail box is full.
    You asked me about the Nv610 and my 400+
    Biggie

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im not sure if Im gonna be in town on the 22nd but if I am Ill be there. Ill also be at Guitar Center so let me know if you need some strings or accesories (my department).

Hope to see you around.

Peace
    Nick

PS: Ill return the favor. ;)