1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Commodore bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SuperMaximo93, Mar 18, 2009.

1. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    Anyone know anything about this company? I've seen a nice looking bass in a shop up the road by a company by Commodore (at least I think it says that on the headstock). The body is the only thing similar to this image but with a brown/yellow to blue burst effect.

[​IMG]

Theres one pickup in the middle of the body and the bridge is different. I haven't tried it by the way. Its up for £160... I don't think I'll be buying it any time soon (gotta get me a new amp first :hyper:) but I don't think anyone will want to buy it any time soon anyway. In the extremely unlikely event that it's worth more than the shop is selling it for I'll pounce on it though :bassist: . I'm not too hopeful...

I'll post pics as soon as I can (crappy mobile camera ahoy!). Thanks guys!

2. SuperMaximo93

SuperMaximo93

Feb 5, 2009
    England
    I finally got a pic! Also the bass is from 1979.

[​IMG]

3. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I had a VIC-20.

4. snarenkunst

snarenkunst

Apr 4, 2009
    it sure looks like an 70's made in japan bassguitar. They come in lot's of brandnames. In fact anyone who did buy a certain number of them could get the name he wanted on the headstock. I think 160 pounds is a good/fair price for it.

The Pups on basses like this have the habbit of being somewhat microfonic is my experience

5. I've got a red-black burst version of the same bass. Paid peanuts for it, but it's great. Mines probably from '60s.
    Whacked some 45-100 Chromes on it, plays & sounds like a dream.
    Pickup on mine is slightly different to yours being a simple four pole piece single coil. However, it does put out a decent 15k.

Plan to upgrade machineheads at some stage, they are a weakpoint beng not particularly substantial plastic tuners, but they do at least function.
    These were churned out from the same factory that made similar Univox,Aria etc branded models.

Pics here
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9336149@N08/2128148899/in/set-72157602884385041/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/9336149@N08/2128931596/in/set-72157602884385041/

Cheers

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I dont know what it is, but its sweet!

7. firebass

firebass

Apr 17, 2004
    Tokyo, Japan
    My very first bass was a Commodore - I bought it in 1974. They were made by the same Japanese factory that made Epiphone and Ventura guitars in the 70s.

I still have the nameplate from the headstock.

It was identical to this except the name on the headstock and it was sunburst.
    http://tinyurl.com/yhdrkgl

8. Fangry

Fangry

Apr 27, 2002
    Helsinki, Finland
    I expected to see something built out of a breadbox C64 :meh: