Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Common Ground: volume pot or not?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superphat, Jan 12, 2003.

1. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    hi,
    i'm trying to clean up the wiring in one of my basses, especially the ground wires.
    what are you using for your common ground point?
    back of the volume pot?
    copper screw into shielded cavity wall?
    somewhere else?

please enlighten me!
    thanks!!!

2. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Your primary ground is your bridge. There should be ground wire coming from the bridge somewhere, that is your 'central' ground (That grounds your strings to everything else). If it is soldered to a pot, make sure the rest of your grounds are also soldered to that pot or at least have continuity to that pot via another jumper wire.
    I know that Fender uses a 'ground' screw as well, usually screwed into the cavity (The cavity being covered in shielding paint) but that is a poor ground. I would avoid any screw lug into shielding paint. A copper shielded cavity is great though.
    Good luck

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    thanks for the 411, bonafide.
    yeah, i forgot about the bridge (string-ground, is it?) but i saw somewhere that active electronics should stay away from the bridge-ground, i think in a bartolini installation diagram a while back.
    i'm probably totally wrong, but...

-paul

4. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    No your not wrong. Some companies like EMG and Barts for example (Some Barts) don't require a ground for actives.Other Companies like Seymours do. Either way it is better to have a bridge ground as your common ground.