Common jazz chord progressions?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by btrag, Jan 5, 2006.

1. btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Armed with the great Jazz Theory Book, I am trying to create basslines in different keys. I am using these chord progressions:

III-VI-II-V (with a few bars of I-IV)

From what I've gathered, these seem to be the most common jazz chord progressions. There has got to be more; what are they?
  2. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    the Jamey Aebersold books i have studied include many songs with KEY changes.

so maybe incorporate some key changes also?
  3. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Don't forget extended dominant bridges in those rhythm changes tunes.
  4. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Within a minor key:

I - IV - VII - III - VI - II - V - I

All degrees minus V related to the Aeolian scale. So for a key center of A minor, the progression would be Am - Dm - G - C - F - Bdim - E7 (dominant - from harmonic minor) - Am.
  5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999

Not to be a horse's ass-

How 'bout ii-V-I (ii-V7-I)

The lower case numerals mean something different than the upper case numerals.

Are you usimg Mark Levine's 'great' Jazz Theory book?
    If so, doesn't he include pages of Jazz tunes to know(towards the rear of the book)? Many of those are based on the same changes(e.g. "Oleo" = "Rhythm Changes"; "Donna Lee" = "Indiana", etc)
  6. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    I - bIII7 - bVI - VII7 - III - V7 - I

called Coltrane Changes by Aebersold
  7. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Instead of trying to put together basslines that adhere to chord progressions, why not try to put together chiord progressions based on what you hear? Then write a melody and then make a bassline.

What is the actual goal you are trying to work towards with this activity?
  8. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    After you've gotten the MANY variations of the blues progession down, you might want to check out the progression to Gershwin's "I've Got Rhythm". Many songs are bassed on those changes.

And don't forget the changes for "Stella By Starlight".
  9. btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    My practice method consists of taking a chord progression and creating an accompanying bassline. I hope to acheive a sense of how the intervals sound in relation to one another, and be able to transpose easier and more intuitively. I think it is better to this this first, rather than memorize tunes. I figure, if I know what common chord progressions sound like, I will have a better chance of figuring out a tune by ear.
  10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Don't take this as a knock, but personally, I'd suggest learning and playing more tunes. To me that's a better way of learning what progressions sound like. Chord progressions are common *precisely because they occur in tunes*. If you don't have tunes, there's nothing to transpose.
  11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002

Learning jazz tunes is a great practice for getting your ears and fingers around new changes. Learning melodies is really good on so many levels, it helps you create bass lines that better serve the tune, find ways to move through progressions, it helps learn and you remember the song (or rather, you dont know the song if you dont know the melody), And it is fun to learn the melody of a song!
    Plus, when you get together with other musicians to play, you'll likely be playing jazz tunes, so you're building a repatoire at the same time.
  12. JohnBarr

Mar 19, 2004
    Central NY
    +1 on that. I'm sort of in the same place and I found trying to learn the progressions in the abstract drove me crazy. So I'm hacking my way through some standards.

Though truth to tell, I think trying to learn jazz bass can drive anyone crazy. The more I try to learn, the more respect I have for the guys that do it well.