Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

common playing/Gigging style

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DriveThruEmoKid, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Picking

4 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Finger Plucking

46 vote(s)
    64.8%
  3. Slap / PoP

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  4. Slap with no Pop

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Pop with no Slap

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  6. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Combination of the above

18 vote(s)
    25.4%
  8. I don't have Hands

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. Just to see how people play, i alternate Finger plucking and Slap/Pop because that's just the way i was "brought up" and am not used to a pick. Plus the pick gives the Bass to much of a treble sound without the distinct accents on certain notes that come along with Slapping and Popping, in my opinion. Thoughts?

2. Where's carrots? :spit: :D

Seriously though, I use a combination depending on the gig and the songs being played.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Fingerstyle for me.

4. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    yeah, me too.

although you missed out plucking with thumb... using the real fleshy part to get a real soft & fat sound. I do that from time to time.

Moley - cool avatar mate, dig it!
    You didnt go to a jazz gig in Goring recently did you? I did and there was a guy about your age who could have been given the nickname 'moley'.. I just wondered?!

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol, nope, not me!

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    naah, thought not!

it was a crap gig anyway, wasnt even frikkin jazz. i was quite annoyed. it was this guy who sang - amazing voice - buit his band just played his pop songs on jazz instruments - brushes & double bass, basically.
    dont get me wrong, the bass player & drummer were great - i have no idea about the pianist/singer - he might have been good. the sax player was so lame... the singer did this scat conversation with him (tacky as sh1t) but he didnt even do that properly! he just whipped out all these crap scales - not even a recogniseable response. it was so, so weak!

something for the old grinners. my parents know the guy who organises the gig, i'm gonna make sure he knows how lame it was.
    honestly, made ME angry they called it jazz and I'm a complete newbie to jazz!

7. Jeff2287

Jeff2287

May 4, 2002
    I pluck with my fingers most of the time but not always. I'm pretty good with slap/pop if I do say so my self;) and use it when I think it works well for a song (or when doing a cover that involves it). I also find pick playing to be necesary at times because my guitarist plays loud and I have difficulty hearing myself otherwise.

You forgot to mention funk fingers (man oh MAN do I want a pair!) :D :bassist: :D

8. I normally just pluck with my fingers but if we're playing a song that calls for it, I'll bust out a pick, or do a little popping. Howard, I agree plucking with the thumb should be up there too. I would do that alot, but I just subconcsiously switch to finger plucking while doing it.

9. Mainly just a pick, but I have been known to throw a little bit of fingerstyle in there...I really should have learned fingerstyle first before using a pick, but my fat and short fingers make it hard. :(

10. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I don't know, I can think of at least one bass player from Liddypool who did alright with just a pick! Say hello to Chrissie from Ullet Rd. for me. I spent a week in Liverpool one night.

Umm, fingers, pick or elbows. I haven't popped a string on purpose in 15 years and can't believe that anyone still does that. It's like hearing a guitarist start playing "Eruption" or something. yech, blech and poo.

11. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Interesting poll, I'm surprised at the lack of options combining slap/pop.

Just finger picking for me. I vowed to avoid slap+pop in our songs after noticing the amunt of local bands that incoorperate it and end up sounding stupid (sorry if that sounds holier than thou).

There are one or two parts where I have a 'pop' sound, but it's just got from picking the higher strings that bit harder.

12. I'm way more comfortable with my fingers than with a pick, but usually keep a few picks handy for when the feeling hits me. Not much of a slapper/popper type of player, though I do enjoy a closed fist hammer puch every now and again.

13. Pluckity pluck pluck for me, Slap & pop when needed but mostly fingerstyle.

14. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    About 3 to 2 combination of fingerplucking and playing with a pick. I only slap and pop for my own fun, putting that into pop-punk doesn't feel appropriate :p

15. play with a pick exclusively, but after getting back into bass after a long flirtation with guitar I vowed to stay mainly with finger/thumb picking. Problem is I'm still *much* faster with a pick. Could be because I don't practice nearly as much as I ought...:rolleyes:
    'Course one of my favorite players, Allen Woody of Govt. Mule (RIP Woody :() played almost exclusively with a pick...

16. Blueszilla

Blueszilla Bassist ordinaire

Apr 2, 2003
    The Duke City
    Fingersyle, mostly because of the band I'm in (blues, roots rock...). But you need to versatile if you want to work, so I do what's needed. Haven't used a pick in years but would do it if I had to. Double-picking lets you do fast runs... My slap/pop is extra medium...:rolleyes: oh well!

17. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Primarily finger-style playing for me. Although I will grab a pick sometimes for overly intricate/tricky pieces.