1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Commonwealth Games 2010

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Anyone else going to be watching this?

I'm looking forward to the rugby 7's & weightlifting :hyper:

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Are they actually happening? I read all kinds of dreadful stuff about the accommodations, etc.

3. They seem to have gotten past that, the opening ceremony was today anyways.

4. in the commonwealth games do N. Ireland, Scotland, and Wales field seperate teams to England? Or are they just the UK like in the Olympics?

5. They compete as separate countries for the Commonwealths, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Irish Republic.

Great start to the games so far, been watching the swimming this morning.

Although I think Wales and Scotland might be just ahead of England at the moment...

6. Seperate teams, that's why England shows up as England :p

Tho on saying that, I think England have one of the biggest teams there, I think they should do pretty well overall.

7. We usually come second behind Australia and just ahead of Canada.

8. Welcome to all who're coming down here :D

9. Are you attending any of the games? I realise your location is Kolkata, so it's quite a trek!

10. Yes, yes you do. ;)

11. Unfortunately not :( Some of my pals are going, though.

12. But we were above them at the last olympics, so that makes up for it :D

13. +1 ;)

I don't know if you think so, but i feel that CWG are indeed a 'relic' of the colonial past.

14. Oh there's no doubt they're a throw back to colonialism, bearing in mind they used to be the British Empire Games! But I still like them - it's a chance for smaller countries to compete on the international stage and some of the events don't occur in the Olympics, like the rugby 7s. There is still something kind of special about it.

Interestingly, as a former colony the USA is eligible to join the commonwealth!

15. I thought America made themselves ineligible because of the war of independence. Surely because they separated from the crown through a war they are not eligible to be a member of the commonwealth. That's at least how I understood it anyway.
    It is a hark back to that, especially with Prince Charles and Prince Edward present at the games it reflects the history of the British Empire. I did however like the quiet dig at the Empire's hold over India with the 5000 years of Indian heritage displayed in the opening ceremony.

16. No, it doesn't matter that they fought a war with Britain, as a sovereign nation with former colonial ties to the UK they are eligible to join. I think they should - apart from Missouri :D

I didn't think the 5000 years of Indian history was at all a pop at the Empire. The commonwealth is supposed to be more a social club of friends rather than a political or military entity, so I think a celebration of Indian history is not only entirely appropriate but also a great show of the diversity within the commonwealth. We should celebrate not only what brings us together but also what makes us different. I think this, coupled with NOT being a political entity, is what makes the commonwealth special.

17. +1. I don't think that there's any animosity at all between India and its former colonial rulers today.

BTW, we're at the 2nd spot in the medals tally as of today :D But we're running out of our 'medal hope' events, I'm afraid :bag:

18. Commonwealth games? England's Olympics?

19. wow how embarrassing.

Just saw Stephen Colbert's bit on the (Un)Commonwealth Games... "we love stories of how athletes have to overcome adversity to compete at the commonwealth games. Now they have to overcome the commonwealth games to compete at the commonwealth games." or something like that.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021