Com'on guys, convince me: ampeg svt-3pro or trace quatra valve?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by broerevb, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Hello guys,

For the moment I'm a proud (yes, I like it) owner of an '92 ampeg svt3-pro. It has its flaws and good points, warm but not very clear or fast. Now I can trade it for a trace elliot quatra valve . GP12XV preamp, 220 watt tube power amp. The trace guys here on the forum certainly love it. :p
    The svt has 450 watt (although some of you state it's less for certain), so now I wonder if the trace will keep up. I'd use it with my two svt410he's. :bassist: And off course, the whole tube issue, you've got to be careful with them etc. etc.
    It's a change, so I wouldn't like to be disappointed... Where do your points go?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Personally, I'd go for the Quatra Valve in a heartbeat. But that's just me! :p

3. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Me too.
  4. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Trace in a heartbeat, seems to be a massive amp.
  5. Little extra info: my band mostly plays the psychedelic kind of stuff, pink floyd, radiohead, nine inch nails (the hard and the soft ones, yes :) ) and my main bass is a passive pedulla.
  6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Dude, you are making an even stronger case for the Trace!!! (Hey, that sounded a bit like Johnny Cochran - RIP).

7. Im more of an ampeg guy, but i'd say the Quatra valve hands down
  8. 2 words, Nuclear F***in' Weapons .. oh wait, i mean TRACE ELLIOT! :p

tubes = t3h win, i nearly scored a GP12VX pre on ebay here in Aus, it ended up going for $360!! i mean, that cheaper than a new behringer 450watt head.
  9. Trace... no questions. I've owned Trace and Ampeg heads, although, not the Trace head you're considering. Do yourself a favor and buy the Trace.... keep us posted :)
  10. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Trace all the way!

The Quatra is way more articulate and punchy compared to the SVT3-PRO and volume wise you won't give up anything IMO/IME.

EDIT: OMG! We got i_got_a_mohawk to say Trace over Ampeg! :eek:
  11. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    If you don't go for the Trace, then you are an idiot. (no offense)
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love Ampeg, but I'd go with the Trace. Tooooooooobs, baby!!!
  13. 220 watts, even if they're 'extra loud tube watts' seems a bit wimpy for pushing inefficient Ampeg cabs that would be happier with about a kilowatt to drive them.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...both junk...especially the Trace...go to GC for a Crate or Rogue combo...

15. hahaha, all tube over a hybrid any day my friend ;)
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Talkbass participants never cease to amaze me. And not in a good way. I agree that the Trace would probably be better, but no need to be so obnoxious.
  17. protoz

Nov 30, 2000

I kept up with my 65watt tube Sunn Sorado with the cab in my sig at a medium sized venue up against a Peavey 5150. Sure I was a little less in power than the rest of the group but I could hear myself and the crowd could as well.

Efficient or not 220 tube watts will plow through an Ampeg 8x10 no problem.
  18. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I have owned an SVT-3Pro and a Hexavalve. no contest. The trace whoops it. The ampeg is a terrific amp in it's own right too, but the trace all tube heads are in a completely different class.
  19. It has to be the Trace! :cool:
  20. +1

I also owned and played the SVT-3 Pro for two years in a row. I now am the happy owner and player of a very nice Trace V8 all tube amp. Although I liked the SVT3Pro... this Trace all tube amp whips the Ampegs ass. I'm pretty convinced that the hexavalve will have a glorious sound as well. My Trace can sound pretty close to the Ampeg, but the Trace will always sound punchier and better. Trust me, you'll like it.