Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comp in Boss ME-50B

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jock, Oct 28, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Is the comps in the ME50B any good? How good? How do they compare to stand alone boxes?
    What I need is a comp/limiter to protect the speakers from the hardest punches. I also need a tuner and sometimes some fuzz so that´s why I look at a multi effects unit.

2. bassomane

bassomane

Apr 3, 2002
    Austria
    The comp section on the ME50B is very good. You'll get sounds from neutral (natural) over some midrange grith (dbx) to very warm (d-comp). You also get a limiter which becomes more and more my favorite. I found no really weak effects on it. Its worth the price only for the compressor section. All in all the Boss is an incredible easy to use, well crafted multieffect unit, which sucks no sound (most important) and is really fair priced.

3. +1

I agree, it's great. I find that the Comp can be strong, meaning I set the threshold to 3 o'clock and I can "feel" it kicking in already. Most other units that I have tried, you need to turn the threshold down to 12 o'clock to get the same effect. But by no means is this a bad thing, and if you want very slight compression then 4 or 5 o'clock will do nicely.

It is alos a bonus to have the different types of compressors and limiters,...... and they do sound very different.

Great compression for protecting your speakers, tuner and some FXs,... I think that it would suit your needs very well.

4. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    All of the effects are of excellent quality. If you need a few of the effects (i.e. compressor, tuner, delay) , buying them all (and more) in one sturdy box is the way to go!

The biggest qulaity aspect is that having all these effects in one unit drastically reduces the noise intereference. The adjustable noise gate built into the Me-50b improves this .