1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comp/limiter question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nussy the whale, Jul 10, 2012.

1. I'm mostly a fingerstyle player, but also use a pick and my thumb when the moment calls for it. I also tap and use chords/double-stops fairly often, and the occasional slap and pop. I consider myself to be a pretty dynamic player, but would I benefit from a compressor/limiter? I could see my self turning it on when tapping or slapping, since those techniques have the greatest effect on my volume. My amp has a simple on-off limiter built into it, but it is that enough?

Thanks!!

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    If all you want is to tame the peaks when slapping then the limiter is probably enough. If you want to tighten up your overall dynamics then you might benefit from the added control of a dedicated unit.

3. I think I want to tighten up my overall dynamics-especially for when I tap. I don't want anything fancy, just something that will help to lessen the difference in volume when I use different techniques. I can't see myself using a comp all the time. Any recommendations?

4. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    There are HUNDREDS of choices. You should read Bongomania's sticky in the effects forum.

5. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Also look into a high pass filter like Tbr fdecks adjustable or efx's Thumpinator. They will cut off all misc. noise/sub sonic lows below a specific frequency. Helps tighten up your low end and can protect your speakers from over excursion.

Here are a couple of links you may want to check out:

Benefits of compression
    Compressor FAQ's and reviews

6. Which comps are the most transparent? I don't want it to affect my tone, just even out my volume a little.

7. drea2304

drea2304

Feb 13, 2012
    Central IL
    I use and really like the Markbass compressore. A true tube compresser pedal. Very quiet.