Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compact 50-100 watt power amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groundloop, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    I've been kicking around the idea of using some components I have laying around to make a combo practice amp for the home studio. I've got a preamp (Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro), a couple of 10" drivers (most likely I'll only use 1), tweeter, crossover etc. But I'm having a hard time finding a power amp small enough to fit in the bottom of a cabinet, and cheap enough to make this project feasible.

Does anybody know of an online source for a suitable amp?

Thanks.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Check out the "plate amps" at Parts Express. These are audio amplifiers intended primarily to mount on the back of a subwoofer. Rear mounting, as opposed to bottom, gives the plate amp a way to dissipate heat. With subwoofer amps, you have to check and make sure you can disable the internal crossover or low-pass filter, and that the resulting frequency response will be satisfactory. As with almost all contemporary power amps, there is no harm to using just one of the two channels.

Crate Pro Audio makes a half-rack space power amp, but I don't remember the rating. There are some really inexpensive single rack space stereo power amps such as ART SLA-1 and Samson Servo 120a. Here, top-mounting would be the way to get the best ventilation.

Here's what will be so maddening... nothing you do will be cheaper than just buying a new Behringer combo.

3. 7flat5

7flat5

Nov 28, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Exactly what I was thinking, but MCM Electronics was my first thought for the price. They have some plate amps designed for powered full-range PA-type speakers in addition to the sub amps. Their website is a disaster, though (in their favor, they have a huge inventory), so the only way you can find them is to get a print catalog, IMHO.

4. basseuphoria

basseuphoria

May 19, 2005

HORSEFEATHERS!!!! try this

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=300-797&DID=7&raid=27&rak=300-797
    they actually have this on sale for slightly under $100.00. been using one for 2 years now and like anything else, if you take care of it, it will last as long as you want it to.

5. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Thanks for the links and suggestions folks.

I know I could buy a cheap combo, but where's the fun in that?

I actually do have an ART SLA-1 powering my studio monitors. I could use that and put an old QSC 1400 back in the rack, but the QSC needs servicing (it works, but the fan is loud-easily replaced, and there's low level buzz in the left channel).

Decisions, decisions. Found this at Parts Express. It's tiny, and I can power the preamp from it. At least I know there are products available to get this done.

If I ever actually do it, I'll post pics of the finished combo.

Thanks again.

6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
  7. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I have an audiosource subwoofer that blew on me once out of my own fault (i was experimenting on how loud it could get) and so the amp blew, and when i contacted audiosource, they had me ship their service provider the blown amp and sent me a new one in less than 2 weeks total turnaround. the new amp has been chugging for 3 years no problem btw.

i also have had only great experiences from partsexpress, great company. Dayton is quality stuff also, i now loaded my sub with a dayton dvc driver and it pounds and sounds better than most sub-$1000 consumer subs.