Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compact amp comparison(2 brands, 4 models)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by henryjurstin13, Dec 14, 2005.

1. I have read, searched, read, & researched this topic... I would like to get some thoughts/opinions specifically between these few models.

SWR Workingman's 10
    SWR Workingman's 12
    Roland Cube Bass 30
    Roland Cube Bass 100

I have only had the chance to play the SWR w.m. 10 in person -- I hope to experience the others very soon... I am looking for something to practice with at home & use in a VERY QUITE and low volume apartment practicing with brushes & acoustics.

Any comments will be greatly appreciated... also -- is the Workingman's 10 being discontinued? thanks, henry

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Out of those 4 I like the Roland 100 best, but if your volume levels are sane, give the Yorkville XM50C a try. Great sound, plenty loud and much less money.

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have owned a WM10 and WM12. I played a Roland Cube 100 at a store. I just about bought it. I liked the modeled amps and effects. It was quite loud - easily could handle a small, maybe even a medium venue depending on the situation. If I was in the market for a small amp, I think I'd go with the Roland.

Slightly off your question...

What is your situation and what can you spend? The reason I ask and don't have a combo amp is because I could never get the one that could do it all for me.

A separate amp/cab can sometimes be lighter and more flexible than a combo. Might be something to consider.

4. I already have a full-time gigging rig... just need this for a spare practice setup.

My budget started out around $200-$300, but as you know... G.A.S. requires lots of money. If you keep looking, you will find something a lot better for a lil bit of money, etc... it just never stops. I REFUSE to spend over $500. I would like to spend (obviously) as little as possible, but I want to ultimately ENJOY the tones that come out of my (soon to be) ultra-tiny combo. I don't want a cab/head... combo only.

I play rock & roll, and about 50% or more I use a pick... hope this helps...

5. The more I keep comparing specs... the SWR just keeps looking better & better. I have yet to play the Roland (and they look very versatile) -- but, I have several pedals already & might not possibly benefit from the effects section. I feel I could benefit more from the XLR DI on the back of the SWR wm 10. The size of the SWR is extremely appealing... I wish I could find more information on these little amps, but I think I have read everything out there.

Are they really being discontinued?

6. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I bought the Roland Cube 100 a couple of months ago, and IMO it blows away the SWR Workingman's combos. I tested it against the Fender Bassman 150 and Eden N12S combos, it the Roland won hands down, with more punch and depth.

SteveC is right -- it's very loud and could handle small gig situations on its own, never mind with PA support. I used it at band rehearsal for a test, and it was excellent. It doesn't have quite the tone or punch of my G-K 700RB/Neo112 "mini-rig," but it comes surprisingly close for a 100 watt 1x12 combo. (I'm referring to my first generation 700RB; the amazing 700RB-II is in another league.)

The models are great, and Roland's "Super Flat" setting is a wonderful tone with vintage and modern aspects. It has flexible connectivity, which is a big plus for gigs and recording. The effects are generally a bust, but that's the only downside I've found.

Highly recommended.

7. Hopefully, I will get to try out some amps this weekend... but, to blur things a bit -- I just found a brand new Workingman's 12 for $350 (plus tax). Should I jump on this? seems like a great price to me.... definately in my budget... hmmmmmmm :confused:

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used a WM12 for a few years as my main gigging rig, and I used it for little club gigs to outdoor festivals. Granted I had to use PA support, but it worked well as a monitor for me.
    I love the portability and tone so much, that I left my Trace Elliot. I sold it after about 300 gigs later to another guy who is now using it as his main rig.

9. the only drawback i have towards the WM12 is... the fact that it is about TWICE as big as the WM10, which is what I first started looking at. I want a good deal, but I need a small amp.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Take a look at Peavey combos as well- they are simply excellent. However, out of the amps you listed, the prize goes to the Roland 100.

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

+1

12. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I owned a WM10 with extension 10. its cute, small. I like the sound of the WM12 better than the 10, but not the weight. but if I were to buy a combo these days I'd definitely check out the yorkville xm50. based on the quality of sound and value I've heard and seen from other yorkville models. I've heard both rolands, but I'm not crazy about either of their "clean" sounds, some of the effects are fun, but I don't know how much use I'd have for them . I don't use effects.

my favorite "small" combo I've heard, any price (of course I haven't heard them all, duh!) , was the Eden cxc-110. I almost bough one used for $450, but I'm saving for an eden head instead.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I bought the Yorkville XM50C for use as a practice amp and and for teaching. When I bought it I compared it to several other small combos. It blew them all away at that price.

I like the Roland 100 but it's much bigger, heavier and more expensive than the Yorkville. The SWRs I tried were also heavy and expensive by comparison to the Yorkville. The Yorkville sounds better to me than the smaller Workingman.

The Roland 30 Cube costs more than the Yorkville and didn't come close in perceived power or sound. The modelling sounds a bit cheesey to me.

The Yorkville weighs 30 lbs and costs $339 Canadian. In the US it'll be well under $300. It's reliable and has a great warranty. They're made in Canada. I'm very happy with mine. I have a Mesa Walkabout Scout for gigs but the Yorkville is the one I use at home although both are set up in my music room.

14. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I picked up the keyboard version of the Yorkville 50 watt combo. 1-10 and 50 watts. Very nice sounding amp for practicing. I might be able to use it on small gigs. I'll have a chance to confirm that next Friday.

It's slightly lighter than the Behringer BX300 and there is no comparison in the quality of sound. The Behringer was bought as a cheap throw away if it ever broke, which it hasn't in three years of use.

The Yorkville was a throw in on a bass deal I did last weekend. Very pleasantly surprised.

15. sync00

sync00

Nov 23, 2005
    Where can you get the xm50 online? MF has some of their models but not that one.

16. This is very odd... I was 100% sure that $350 for the WM12 would be a fantastic purchase. But, in light of this thread - the WM12 is not near the amp that the Roland Bass Cube 100 is.. it is making me have doubts.

Is there something wrong with the SWR W.Man 12?

17. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Well somebody has to stand up for the Cube 30... I got one a little while ago, I'm surprised at how nice it sounds. I particularly like the Bassman preset, that's my tone, and it sounds pretty decent with the eq flat. It's way louder than 30W should be, but I have no delusions of gigging with it, other than at very low volume (say, with an acoustic guitar). I use it for practice situations without drums, not sure that it can keep up with brushes, that might be pushing things.

FWIW, I've never liked SWR's characteristic tone, either for me or when I hear someone else playing through SWR stuff - I know a couple great players who swear by their gear, it's just not for me.

18. I played the Cube 30 - not quite big enough for me & they had no Cube 100 to try. The modeling was cool, but didn't vary enough for me to justify buying it. T-wah is the only effect I cared about... but, I already have several cool filters on hand. I tried the W.Man 12 & it felt like my current rig... but downsized into a small box. Very good lows & thick, meaty mids. I liked it a lot.

30 minutes later of me pushing this amp into annoying store volume levels, :bassist: :spit: :rollno:

My very friendly sales rep went to the back to get me one still in the box... for $350. I haven't had a chance to test it out in a band setting yet, but so far at home - I think it is going to be an awesome practice amp.

This was actually an extremely positive Guitar Center experience. GC in Nashville is cool. Sales people were very nice & not pushy, selection was great. And the price was perfect. Guitar Center can be your friend sometimes.

19. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You'll be happy with the WM12. That is a good price.