Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compact and Loud

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xb100, Jun 23, 2005.

1. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Hey guys, I've been minglling here for quite awhile, I post once and awhile, but for the most part i try to absorb any info i can. Since I've done so much research I know the general idea of most bass amp & cab companies.

One thing I'm trying to piece together is a compact and loud rig for metal/rock band. I have extreme GAS, who dosn't? Just about anyone would want or at least be able to play on a classic ampeg svt and a Bergantino 610. Or how about a mesa bass 400+ along with an ampeg 8x10. The only problem is weight/size and abilty to transport your rig to and from gigs.

I've read reviews for just about every cab/ amp company. Any suggestions would be helpfull, and I will probbly know what you are talking about, unless you mention ephini, or EA, not very familiar with either of those brands.

My price point is 2500$ NEW. I know you can find good used stuff, but I want that warrenty, sort of a life jacket for my gear.
    I play with 2 guitarists that run through 212 combos at about 120 watts. I play through a peavey 115 tnt, it does the job, but I want room to improve in tone and in volume.

Brands that I'm interested in are
    Ampeg
    Bergantino
    GK
    SWR
    Kustom
    Schroeder
    Eden
    Mesa Boogie
    *EDIT*
    *I would also like to hear what you guys think of Aguliar gear aswell.*

I know all of those brands have high priced stuff and not so high priced stuff. I also know that some of the brands I mentioned don't appeal to certain people, but according to the reviews I have read about gear from that certain company seem to be good.

I did look up some info on getting (2) 2x10's, but I think in the long run it would be expensive. Another note, I'm not a small guy I'm close to 6'3 and I haul my peavey all over (85 lbs?) and it's not that big of a deal, but wouldn't mind something lighter.

I also know that everyone insists to "try before you buy" the bad part of that is, not everyone lives near a music store that carries the gear that they want, like me. If i wanted to I would have to go to Indy to guitar center to try everything i wanted to try out. Thats close to an 1 1/2 to 2 hours away, and gas prices aren't to preaty.

If you guys could help me out I would appreciate it!!!

Thanks

Rob :bassist:

2. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    my suggestion:

schroeder 1212 1000w 48lbs $649 (maybe get two?)
    stewart world poweramp the 1.2 is 11lbs gets 1200w bridged $500?
    sansamp rbi preamp 5lbs $300
    light rack 8 lbs $60?

total weight 72lbs with a modular approach to upgrade later when GAS hits again

total price about $1500 everything new :bassist:

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Yes I was imagining someone mentioning schroeder at least once. I did read however, that the stewart power amps were a little buggy. Don't rememebr where i read it but had heard of some people not being satisfied with them at all?

Thanks though

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    For compact power, you'll never beat a Schroeder. A lot of the other cabs you mentioned have really great sounds, but none of them can beat the Schroeder package.

5. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Ya i forgot to put bag end on the list I had posted before, one thing that strikes me is that bag end says their cabs are 200 watts rms and 400 watts program, the thing is, I don't want to put TO much into the cab, but I have read that they are very powerful and can take a beating.

Schroeder is also a big contender, I live in Indiana and don't really plan to go to Cali to try out a bass cab, but I have read that the sensativity of the speakers in the schroders is top notch.

Another point I'd like to ask about is the thunderfunk, heard alot about it, I like the way it sounds, but would the 500 watt version be enough for a loud rock band?

6. Gomez

Gomez Live from the Shire

Apr 15, 2005
    Can't go wrong with an Eden WT800B and a D410XLT. That's what I'm aiming for this year.

7. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Or rather:
    One 1210 and one 1212 - or one 21012; or one 410.

Depends on what type of tone you are looking for.

The same goes for the amp - depends on what tone you are looking for.

8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    If you like that type of tone, and you have an efficient cab, then yes.

how about this pairing: TF550 + Schroeder 410? This setup would have lots of punch, as I suspect.

9. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I use an AG500 500 watt head in a loud speed metal band through my Berg HT/EX 112 stack, and they ask me to turn down... :rolleyes: When playing with them I'll usually have the volume at about 10:30, and the bergs can take that and more.

10. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I'm playing in a rock band using my Schroeder 21012. I run through a BBE BMax-T into a Crown XLS-402. The guitarists are playing through Marshall tube 2X12 combos with extension cabs and I keep up with them just fine. The one change I may make to my rig in the near future would be to change out the BBE for a Fender TBP-1. I hear some really good things about this pre. Add a rack case and power conditioner to this and it can all be bought new for about $2000.

11. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I'm pretty happy with my Eden/Bergantino rig. Versitile, powerful and light.

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Demeter VTBP-201s or Alembic F1-X, into Stewart 1.2/1.6/2.1 or QSC 3002/3402 into Schroeder 1210+1212 or 410 or 21012.

Light, compact, will own any guitarist.

And to answer on the Aguilar, I had a 112 at one point, added with my Mesa Powerhouse 1x15, pushed by an M-Pulse 600 and really liked it. A lot of my previous rigs (as I'm sure has happened with others too) have been traded/upgraded, etc.. b/c of lack of PA support. I personally think a 2x112 Aggy cab setup plus say an Eden WT500 or WT800, or a Mesa M-Pulse 600 would be a killer setup. I really liked how it sounded, I just needed more personal sound because we were without a regular PA at the time. Now we have one, and I'm running the aforementioned Demeter/(borrowed Mackie, buying a Stewie or QSC amp soon)/Schroeder 1210 setup, and you just can't touch it with anything on the market. With that kind of cash, you can kind of go crazy.

If you want a one-cab setup, definitely go for the 410 if you like a lot of thump, and the 21012 if you want more rumble. Cant miss. Modular setups (pre -> power amp) are the only way I'll go from here on out. You just can't beat it.

13. Since you mentioned Mesa 400+ and Bergantino NV610's...I'll vouch that this is an unbelievable rig. The 6x10 is surprisingly mobile, but that's really beside the point when you drive it with the Mesa head. You can pick up both of them used for $800 or less each. I've never been left wanting for power, loudness, or great sound.

That might not quite fit the 'compact-ness' that you're going for, but you're talking about a tilt-back cabinet (works like a dolly or handtruck) and one 4-space rack case. One power cord, one speaker cable and you're done.

14. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

That would be an awesome rig nontheless. But ya the compact thing dosn't go to well. I don't have a problem picking the head and the cab up (98 pounds for a 610) and putting it in a car, it's just I don't have a car and I want it to be able to fit.

15. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I was about to suggest a very similar idea, though I prefer the NV215. The NV series cabs really are pretty easy to move around, despite weighing @ 100 lbs.

And heck, if I can't mention EA, Epifani, Accugroove, ACME, Walter Woods, or Hevos, then I may as well say Mesa 400+ with Berg NV215! :p

16. Jetta's work pretty well...or so I've heard... ;)

[​IMG]

17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Hah! I remember that picture from years ago!

Cool!

Tom.

18. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Buy a used 400+ for around $800, And 2 times 1212. I'm running a similar rig, but right now 1 1212 and one Avatar SB112. Thinkin' of trading that in for a second 1212.

19. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    +1

800W bridged @8 ohm, 1100W @4 ohm. Cab sensitivity 106dB. Great tone. Thunder.

Best is to try different setups with your bass(s) before you buy.

20. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Quick question**

Do eden cabs have 1/4 and banna plugs?

I was hoping they had speakon plug in's, but if not ok.