Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compact cabinet for on-stage monitoring

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Soulbanana, May 2, 2005.

1. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I've recently stopped playing the loud stuff, so I'm in the process of downsizing my rig.

I currently play Top40s pop-rock covers (Tom Petty, Keane, Killers, Police, Bryan Adams etc) as well as groove-jazz originals in the style of The Headhunters, MMW and Me'shell.

I play a Japanese-made Morris 74 Jazz RI (passive, DM Ultra Jazz) and a custom-made 5-string fretless (EMG40DC and 2-band electronics). The amp is a Behringer Bass V-amp Rackmount -> SWR Stereo 800.

I'm looking for a compact, portable rig to use for practice and monitoring in a live situation. I tried the Eden wedge 2x10 today, and was very impressed with the clarity of tone, together with the fact that I could hear the actual tone coming from the speakers with no bass rolloff (which happened when I tried tilting some cabs upwards).

Unfortunately, at AU$1,250 I'm wondering if I should be better off spending the money on other used cabinets. A similar price would also get me a new ACME Low B-2 from the Australian distributor.

My question is: what cabs are feasible for my uses?

I've heard a lot about the Bergies, Bag Ends, Aguilars and ACMEs but have only been able to try the Aguilar GS112 thus far. We definitely don't have Avatar here. I've tried an SWR Triad but that is still a little too large.

I'm looking for something in the US$500 region before shipping, preferably used and either a single 12 or 2x10. I would really appreciate some advice from those of you who have such gear, as not a lot of stuff hits our shores.

Likewise, if you have stuff for sale, do drop me a mail.

2. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    considering you don't need lots of power or volume for a foldback have you considered making something? Are you handy with a jigsaw and wiring? Even hire a cabinet maker to make the enclosure and cut the holes for the speakers of your choice??? Seems a shame to buy name gear just for foldback..

3. Soulbanana

Soulbanana

May 7, 2004
    Singapore
    I'm not that handy with the tools and whatnot, and I've tried getting a builder to make me some cabinets here, with less than satisfactory results.

I might have been a little bit misleading with the term 'monitor'. What I'm looking for is a cab that is able to do the job of an accurate reference both during practices and onstage in the somewhat higher volume setting of club-work.

As far as 'name' gear is concerned, I know exactly what you're talking about but don't want to get into a lengthy discussion on it.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    There are plenty of fairly compact 112's out there that would probably make you very happy without killing your wallet.

5. Fire off an email to BassNW and see what they can do for you on the eden wedge. They ship world wide and cut some of the best deals around...and they're very nice people to do business with.
    http://www.bassnw.com/