Compact cabs with huge low end

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by anyonefortennis, Sep 6, 2005.

1. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    What's out there that can provide a big low end without taking up tons of space?

I was thinking a schroeder 1212. What are my other options?
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You could also check out some of accugrooves stuff, as well the acme b2, and some of bag ends 1x15's.

3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Take a listen to Bergantino as well. :cool:
  4. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    If you literally want 'low end' as in reproduction of very low frequencies, you'll probably have to use speakers larger than 12" in diameter. This also requires large boxes and amplifiers, not compact units. If, instead, you're just looking for a generally 'huge' bass sound, you will just have to keep trying out recommended cabs at high volume until one strikes your particular fancy.

For example, an Eden XLT's low end may sound huge in a band setting, but it's not putting out a staggering amount of low low frequencies, people just perceive it that way because 'huge' bass sound is a lot more than sub-80hz frequencies.
  5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Acme B-2. Not loud, but pant-flapping fun in a small box.
  6. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    EA cxl-112

Bag End 15
  7. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    How about really nice bottom end in a small cabinet? Schroeder 1212....47 pounds, 1000 watts, 23 x16x16, 103 db, 40hz low end response. Efficient and I guarantee you is more "bottomy" than everything else listed here except maybe the Acme, but the Acme's are totally inefficient and need a ton of wattage. I would match up an Acme 210 to a Schroeder 1212 or even 1210 and in most venues the Schro will eat the acme for lunch in terms of punch, clarity, volume, etc. There's not compact Bergie alive (210, 112, 115) that's anywhere near the Schroeder either. The edens 210 sxt and xlt do not cut through like the schroeders and are not as loud, clean, punchy, or bassy, + weigh 1.5 times + what the Schroes weigh. The EA CXL112? You gotta be kidding me. It's a great, hifi sounding cabinet that bottoms out at 1/4 the volume I can get my Schroeder 1210 to. There's no comparison here again especially on low end response. The Bag end 115's I've owned sounded great as an over all even sounding cabinet but again, there aren't many 115 cabs alive that are more bottom end responsive yet are clean, clear, punchy, with sweet sounding high's that's as compact as a Schroeder 1212.

Give Jorg a call, tell him what and why you're trying to accomplish what you are, and let him recommend which of his cabinets he feels is your best fit.

Larry kaye
  8. Eden 210XST - 103db efficiency, serious 30Hz response.
    More genuine lows than any of the 15's I've owned.

The Nemesis 210 comes close, although has only half the power handling.
  9. remo

Jan 15, 2005
    Accugroove Whappo Grande... just because it looks Craaazzzyyyyy!!!

21" sub lol... I just want one...
  10. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

From personal experience, the Schroeder 1212 has massive bottom end in a very managable small and reasonably light cab. It contantly makes my bandmates shake their head in amazement. Did I mention it's incredibly loud as well?
  11. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    2 aguilar 1x12 cabs. very portable, very compact, and TONS of low end. and you dont have to win the lotto to be able to afford em. :p
  12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    The most poignant example of huge low end from a very compact cab would, IMHO, be the ACME Low B-1. Those little cabs have truly deep and massive low end for their size. The Low B-2 is also very deep with a full, fat low end, and is also quite compact. But the 1212 is another great choice. Pretty much all the Schroeders that I have heard (1210, 1212, 21012, 410) have a lot of low end for their size, though perhaps their emphasis is more "low-mids" compared to the really deep lows of the ACME cabs.

If you are really after deep sounding lows, but also very tight and clear, then pretty much any of the EA VL-series cabs are excellent IMHO, as is the CxL-210 or CX-310. The CxL-112 has very deep lows, but to my ears sounds a bit scooped in the low mids. It would be the ying to a Schroeder's yang. ;) The Bergantino HT115 is a fairly compact 1x15, and it has great, tight, deep lows, and works well as a standalone cab, too. The Epifani T-112 has probably the most low end of any 1x12 I have heard, and I'd say this cab should be on your short list, too. As for the Accugroove line, they all have great lows for their size, but I'd say the one that has the most eyebrow raising combination of deep/full low end and a relatively compact/light form factor would be the Tri 210L. It's a little bigger than some of the other ones, but very light, and very phat!

I may be missing some, but that's what I've got so far...

13. Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    +1 Its awesome......
  15. +1 on those Aggies. Altough, I really wanna try a Schoeder 1212...
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how loud do you need to be? what's your onstage competition?
  17. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    im curious about schroeder cabs as well. im just worried about spending all the money possibly not diggin the vibe they put out. everyone seems to love em though.
  18. EA VL 210's. I get more out of 2 of those (low B ESPECIALLY, believe it or not) than I used to get out of a 1-18" bag end and and a hartke 4.5 xl stack.

19. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

+1 for the Schroeder 1212.....great low end but punchy. I've used the ACME b-2 as well....I don't remember them being as efficient.
  20. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

also, here's my review of the 1212 compared to an Aguilar 212 (which is a much larger cabinet).

I a/b'ed the 1212 with an Aguilar 212. The Aggie tone was focused more in the high mids/high end, and though it kept up with the 1212 volume-wise the punch and bottom end were lacking. I did have to turn the master volume up using the Aggie to get the same (or close) volume as the 1212. Also, it seemed like the 1212 punch/tone could be heard from any point in the room, the Aggie was more directional for sure. I will say the Aggie very complimentary to the 1212, when I ran them in stereo, the highs from the Aggie mixed well with the low punch of the Schroeder. Overall I'd say I'd use the 1212 as a stand alone cab, but not the Aggie, but together they're a nice set.