1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compact extendible cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass Unique, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Just some food for thought. I have a need for a small cab (probably 1 by 12") but would like to make this a three way cab using a mid and tweeter.

In order to make it ultra compact, I have thought about putting the bass speaker on the front along with the ports (non directional sources) and then on the top surface facing upwards, the mid and tweeter (directional sources). In order to project the sound forward, I thought about putting in a reflective surface above the speakers such as a mirror at 45 degrees. This would mean from the front you could see the speakers and it would also project the sound forward. I estimate the best crossover frequency to be somewhere between 800 and 1.2 kHz between woofer and mid.

Has anyone tried this before and if so, did you find the speakers have a significant delay due to the longer path? Any other things people can think of?

The box would be closed for transit (almost a cube) but would effectively be 200mm taller when in use improving audibility of the mids and extending upwards.

2. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    These are expensive but even through the bad microphone, you can tell it is a very bright sound, too much top end...probably accentuated because they want you to feel that off axis (if there is one) you still hear the treble. Anyway the reflectors are too small for lower frequency and they probably use 1.5k+ as the first cut of. I was thinking of a flat 45 degree mirror at approximately 380mm square. The beauty is, it would fold away for transport.