Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compact rig approval :-)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Aug 23, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    So I think I'm going to move away from my QSC PLX1602. It just really bugs me that I can't run it bridged at 2 ohms. I really really like my schroeder 1210 - in fact I will only consider dropping it for another bigger schroeder. But sometimes (you'll all think I'm nuts) I want run more cabs, and I do not like that I keep clipping the amp - so I want the headroom.

So I looked into these new carvin BRX heads and particularly the BRX212 combo. It really reminds me of a 1212 on it's side. So, do you all think this is the real deal in terms of portability and projection? What do you all think of the Carvin BRX front end. They throw around the Class A buzz word, like Avalon does - but I have a U5 and it is not a product of Marketing BS Rhetoric.

So if I picked up the BRX212 my final amp rig would be

Carvin BRX212
    Schroeder 1210
    Avalon U5

I think this is a pretty versatile rig. I am just apprehensive about the BRX212 because it would become the center of the rig. And what about running the head section at 2ohms all the time. How bombproof do you all think the combo is?

Thanks everyone,

Michael

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You think that's compact??

3. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    You know the carvin btx212 weighs 70-80 lbs?

And as stated above that isn't that small, I'd just get a 1210 or another 1212 from Jorg.

-Rob

4. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    How about selling your PLX and getting a used Stewart World 2.1?

That'd be my vote if you want power, portability, and good tone

5. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I think my first post is misleading. I'm trying to make this compact for my loud garage rock band. Basically I want as much volume as possible with a distinct low mid voicing (schroeder :cool: ) but with the versatility of my home NYC, and the myriad of great to S**thole clubs that I have played and will play in.

to me the BRX212 COMBO (not the cab) looks like a great idea because it's powerful (800 watts at 2 ohms when I add the Schro) and super portable - rolls and has an extendable handle like rolling luggage. It looks like a cinch to move around. I'm trying to not have to go for the Big cabinet option here - if I was then I'd get the Schroeder 310212 - a no brainer. But I'm not going to get too far in NYC if I have to drag that bad boy around.

I think that an 800Watt 2x12 combo and a schro 1210 should be morethan enough for stage volume in any venue in the city - probably more than enough. I just want to make sure the combo can take a beating at 2 ohms.

~michael

6. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In

I would still just get another shcro 1210 or 1212 as far as I'm concerned one 1210 or 1212 is defening, and alot of guys here who have been playing for 20+ years usually only need one, so you must be playing some big stadiums or something if you need 800+ watts.

I would just get a power amp that has more umph, like the above suggestions for the stweart 2.1. I would go with something from qsc though, either a rmx 1850 or plx 3002.

I'm looking at the specs for the 1602 and it says it puts our 500 watts at 4ohms which i assume you are running the 1210 at. If you just get another 4 ohm 1212 or 1210 you would be set at 1000 watts of power. I don't see how you can be clipping unless you have the low end boosted all the way.

If you play that loud tell your band mates to turn down.

Plus the added schroder would be less bulky then the brx combo.

Not to mention....if you do get the combo, and since it runs 800 watts @ 2ohms you wont really notice that much of a difference in volume which also makes no sense to me if you just add your scrho 1210 to it.

-Rob

7. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Also you said going around NYC would be a pain in the a$$ with a 310212. Well you are making it even worse haveing to lug a combo that already weighs 70 lbs+another cab, have fun with that.

-Rob

8. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    From a friend that I trust that owns both cabs (the 1210 & 1212), the 1212 is much better at getting really loud than the 1210 (even though the 1210 is amazing in this regard for its size).

Possibly, a 1212 combined with a more powerful amp will get you where you need without adding a combo into the equation: U5, Stew 2.1, & 1212 -- if that doesn't cut it, you probably need PA support anyway (assuming you don't already have it -- if you do have PA support and you can't hear onstage with the aforementioned system, you're band has serious issues in other areas).

You could probably sell the 1210 for close to 'new' value or possibly find someone who would like to trade a 1212 for a 1210.

The Carvin combo sounds like a 'shot-in-the-dark' to me as far as how everything will sound together: the combo, the 1210 and the U5 and not all that portable.

I'm not trying to bust your balls, but if I couldn't at least try out the system your talking about before buying, I don't think I'd be going there. :)

9. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    KICKING MYSELF, I should have just gotten the 1212 it sound like from other users here. Before I picked up the 1210 I was on the list for a 1212 but I pulled out because I got a deal. but now the prices have jumped (from $689 for the 1212 inc. ship to $789. Crap)

BUT, if I let my 1210 go then I will snatch up the 1212 in an 8 ohm version so I can keep the PLX 1602 and run it bridged at 8 ohms.

Then later on when I want to have REDICULOUS volume on stage I will request a 410 (in an 8ohm version) to add on.
    (an 8 ohm version should be totally do-able - the 1210 is 4 ohms which means he MUST be using two 8 ohm drivers in parallel.) Not exactly an extrememly portable rig in it's full assembly but I'll have a 410 a 1212 and 1600w with my U5 in front to play around with. Not too shabby.

THanks guys. anyone interested in a 1210 :smug: :D ?

~Michael

10. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I think the best advise would be to talk to Jorg and let him know what you're situation is.

It's hard to beliveve you're clipping a 1600W amp into a 1210 and not getting the volume you need.

Have you tried the different presets on the U5 (or other EQ options -- I don't know if your bass guitar is active or not -- I know the U5 is limited to the tone presets)?

11. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    So I think this really comes down tot hte single cab theory. One cab that is portable enough but can replace a BIG cab like an 810- 412 or a 2x15. I'm going to stay with schroeder, but looking around these posts I see many happy people with the 410 and 21012.

So keeping the U5, and the PLX, I feel that the choice between the two is much like the choice between the 1210 and the 1212. 410 being more versatile and the 21012 being louder.

My sound is best defined as low mid heavy with a hollow grind, like the OX. I go for "vintage" tone from my bass (a p-bass) and my cab (especially since the U5 and the PLX are very flat in their response)

Soooooo.

Which one schould I upgrade to, the 21012 or the 410. Jorg recommended the 410 because he uses it for many of his gigs for a one-size fits all loud f**ker. And I read about one person who recently picked up a 410 for a metal gig, as well as Lo-Freq - the resident 410 evangelist.
    But what about the 21012?

Hmmmm. I do like havig a 12 in the cab somewhere.

~Michael

12. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Do you want punch out the kazoo or an inherently heftier low end tone?

Both cabs have plenty of solid low end, the 21012 is just uber-phat/deep/powerful (while still retaining significant punch).
    The 410 is tighter, punchier, and (btw) can get as loud if not louder than the 21012.

My vote for the most versatile Schroeder is the 410 -- just add EQ if you want something 'extra' (but sounds great with all EQ set flat).