Compact Rig with Warmth & Punch

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boogiebass, Sep 2, 2003.

1. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As a result of my seemingly endless search for just the right combination that still won't kill me to load in/out, this one is very promising. The Ashdown pre is warm and fat and the Crown really conveys it with plenty of clean power and headroom (I run it bridged, about 2K watts into 4 ohms). And the Epi cab has both punch and plenty of detail without sacrificing the low end. Not too shabby. ;) The only downside is that both the rack and the cab are moderately heavy. Onstage, the whole thing sits on a Gramma pad.

2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    NICE looking rig, Boogie! Would you care to do a comparison of that Ashdown vs. the Mesa 400+? I thought you were completele enamoured by the 400+.
  3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh man, my 400+ enamoured days are so over! :D Seriously, I have gone thru just about every kind of rig on the market in the last few years. But I've been using rack systems for about a year now and have sold everything else. I still have a 400+ but not for long. :cool:

I settled on Epifani and Bergantino cabs some time ago, too. And the 400+, although fat and toneful, just doesn't have enough juice to drive those cabs, believe it or not.

But to get to your question: the Ashdown pre does have some of the same thick warmth that the 400+ offers but they're really two different beasts.
  4. Cool, I am looking to possibly put together a rig that is something similar to that. Looks sweet. Sweet rig, sweet basses, good stuff Boogie!

5. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Thanx, man. What's especially nice about this little rig, Geoff, is that it's still "modern" sounding with excellent clarity but warm enough in the low end to cover a lot of old-school tones.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe, SWEET rig, bro!

funny, but i was seriously considering buying the RPM-1 for my Epi rig. figured the rough 'n tumble, rock like Ashdown would be a nice foil to the clearer, cleaner Epifani.

btw, i just finished my funk rock gig tonight, and DAGNABBIT, my Epi 3x10UL rocked the stage!

the combo of the Elrick into the Kern into the Stewart and slammin' outta the Epi was too divine. tone sooooo thick and chewy, you could cut it with a steak knife. and yet, it was still as clear sounding as a church bell on Sunday.

another btw, i know you're lovin' the Crown for your power duties, but ever consider a Stewart World 2.1? its only 21 lbs. or better yet, Emjazz turned me onto Crest's ST2000, which are only 23 lbs. and yet slam 2000 watts @ 4 ohms.

yet another btw, try putting the Ashdown pre into its own rack case like a SKB X-Rack 2 spacer which are only 10.5" deep. then put the Crown power amp and conditioner into another 3 space rack box. my bud suggested this to me for a high power rig i'm thinking of building. much easier to carry once everything's compartmentalized like that. place 'em all on a nice foldable cart, and you're rockin' the casbah! ;) :bassist:
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I would love to hear that rig! It sounds like you certainly did your homework, and I can definitely see where that particular combination of gear would have some serious mojo going on! :bassist:

Of course, your back may have preferred Joker's T-310UL... ;)

Rock on, Tom.
  8. Nice Boogie! Your as bad as me.
    I agree about the 400+ with Bergs and Epi's, uh until now. I too still have my 400+. I just got a Berg NV610 and tried it with the 400+ :D is all I can say! Although I have not taken it out on a gig yet I really think it will drive this particular Bergie. I found out as you must have that it would not drive the HT series like my 212 and 322. It sounded good with the small Bergs but just to much to cart around. But since I'm lugging a mini SVT style cab I might as well bring the all tube goodness along too. I am doing an "outside" thing next weekend so I'll report. I can tell you guys that in my practice room, the 400+ sounded louder than my PLX/DEM rig. They both sound great, but the Mesa has that HUGE bottom bootay that reaks of thick-kick! Both my passive and active Laklands sound huge. Although the NV is not "high-fi" it has plenty of bottom and clear highs enough for me.

I am still, as always, awaiting the live gig test, and the outside trials.

Although I am a huge fan of the Auralex Gramma Pad, the NV610 did not seem to benifit from this great alternative tool, at least in my practice room which sit on a hard wood floor with a basement under it. A piece of carpet did the trick. All my other cabs sound great on the Gramma, but the NV seemed to lose a great deal of the bottom kick, which is what the decoupling device is designed for, but the sealed cab must need to be coupled more. ??? not sure yet. It makes all my other way more focused.
  9. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Here's my little fat punchie rig. SM400 as pre-amp, QSC PLX 1602 and EA VL210. It makes pants flap and drinks fall off tables in the audience. SHAAWEEEEET:D
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    My Compact rig:

To me, this DEFINES warmth and punch! :D
  11. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Oh yeah, I've been using a Stew 2.1 for some time now with a Demeter 201. That's actually my Number One rig, the one I run into my Bergie 322. And it's only 17 lbs., bro, not 21. You may be thinking of a QSC.

Not a bad idea on the racks. May have to consider it. The Crown is three spaces by itself, actually. So your idea would involve a 4-spacer. Thanx! :cool:
  12. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No doubt! But this one came to me in a trade rather easily...
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, I bet it is a good match with the 610. Not the direction I'm going these days in tone, however. Bet it rocks, tho! ;)