1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compact solid state power amps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bromosapian, May 27, 2012.

1. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    I have a rustybox on the way, and depending on whether I like it more than my GK, I might sell my current amp and get a 300-400 watt power amp. I'd llike to just put the power amp and the rustybox in a smallish suitcase with my (very few) other pedals. Any recommendations for a reasonably priced compact power amp? If GK can fit 500 watts into their MB amps, then I imagine there has to be a pedal sized power amp like that.

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    At present, you might find that the best / cheapest way to get a 500 W compact power amp is to buy a micro head and bypass its preamp.

Pedal sized isn't quite there yet.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed. EHX does have a 44-watt power amp in pedal form, but for more power at this time you pretty much have to go with a micro head.

4. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    Not willing to pay for a full amphead just to use the power amp. Ill just run it into my GK I guess.

It just seems odd that despite them putting them in the micro heads no one has bothered to sell something like that independantly.

5. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I was going to suggest the same thing. Just make sure you understand the signal paths of the amps you consider, to make sure any signal processing you don't need occurs before the effects return point, or if it occurs after, that it's defeatable. Like Bromo, I sort of wish there were tiny power amps around. But I can understand (from the standpoints of thermal considerations and marketing) why I shouldn't hold my breath.

One option for those with the skill and initiative would be to buy a B&O Icepower board and mount it in a vented, possibly fan-cooled, metal box. It wouldn't be a difficult task. The toughest part might be actually finding just one board at retail. Sometimes they pop up on eBay.

Another option would be to mount a high power plate amp inside a wood box just large enough to contain it. (The heat sinks on those things are typically on the outside.) I just don't know whether the ones out there today can supply the power levels you're looking for. They may not "be there" yet.

6. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    The gk amp I have has an effects in that is basically the power amp in, I run a boost pedal into it when a tube in the pre is dead and it works fine.

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I once asked one of the micro head makers, why he didn't sell a micro power amp -- same form factor but without the preamp. He told me that he would have to sell it for a higher price than the head, because the sales volume would be so much lower.

You could probably get a second hand micro head. Both of mine are from the TB classified's.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    While companies probably could, my guess is that they haven't yet since power amps in the same series generally use the same chasis. So thier operation costs are probably kept down by that. Also, the primary market for solid-state power amps are for PA applications, so most sound engineers, who rack their amps, probably aren't gonna be demanding a micro power amp.

A micro-sized poweramp would be very cool, though. I have a feeling we'll see a bass amp company offer one sometime.

9. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    I think ill just stick with my fusion head in this case. Besides, the amount of hassle it would be just trying to ship that bloody thing isn't worth it for me.

10. username1

username1

Dec 28, 2005
    alberta canada
    What about the SWR amplite? It is 400 watts mind you.

11. +1 For SWR Amplite.

I haven't used one, but I was surprised it didn't come up sooner in the thread. Seems like a natural fit for the OP.

12. Bromosapian

Bromosapian

Sep 28, 2010
    the swr one I might go with. I could fit that, the rustybox and my fuzzrocious thats on the way into a briefcase I imagine.

13. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    That's what I was going to suggest. You don't hear much about SWR on this board, but that's the only micro power amp I'm aware of.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Vestax VDA-1000
    Internals are PowerSoft
    It's a different form factor than other power amps.

15. lsabina

lsabina

Sep 3, 2008
    WNY
    I got a Crate SPA100 off of EBay not too long ago. It's a half rack mono power amp ( but only 100W-not what you're really looking for). A Stewart PA-200B can be bridged to 200W @ 4 Ohm, I believe. Hard to find though.