compact vs. full-sized cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muhammadsmith, Aug 6, 2003.

1. alright, avatar speakers sells a compact version of its 1x15 cab, and a full-sized or regular version of its 1x15 cab. i decided i do want new speaker cabs, and i'm gonna save up for 2 1x15 cabs, 1 with a horn. i'm guessin the compact model is probably lighter, which is good, but the full-sized model probably sounds a little better. is the difference between the two a question of sound quality, projection, or both? sound quality i can handle to skimp on a little, since i'm plugged straight into the PA via a sansamp at shows, but projection i need to hit those first people close to the stage. me hearing it is not so much a problem, 'cause we usually get good monitors. thanks in advance for help
  2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The smaller cabinet won't sound as deep.

Simple physics...a smaller box can't be tuned to go as low.
  3. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    which is cheaper? how much do you want to carry? what cabs do you have now? if these are your only cabs you may want 115 and 210 for mids and punch?
  4. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    To everyone elses voices of reason I'll add one note of counterpoint.

If size really is a requirement, don't let a couple Hz and a few dB talk you out of it. Figure out what you need and stick to your requirements.
  5. Kinda.

A small box can be tuned to any frequency, but the port area will be so small that chuffing will be a problem. One solution is using a larger port area and a longer duct. This leads to organ-pipe resonances generated by the harmonics of the fundamental. The duct should be no longer than 1/12 to 1/20th wavelength of the tuning frequency.

One solution to small box tuning is the passive radiator. The total PR cone displacement should be 1.5x or more than the primary driver. The PR mass will be very heavy to tune it properly in a small box, so it will have a tendency to shake. Kick-ass boxes require two PRs on opposite walls so their moving forces cancel. Otherwise, a small cabinet will walk all over the place.

The downside to PRs is they cannot be stored in a position where the driver faces up or down. The weight of the assembly will distort the spiders and wreck the PR. The other disadvantage is cost. Good PRs are not cheap, and a pair is twice "not-cheap."

There is a cheater solution that I'm using for my micro sub. Tune the box (28 Hz) well below the lowest operating note (41 Hz), which means the port velocity never hits max, and never chuffs. I use a small port and reasonable duct to tune 0.54 cubic feet to 28 Hz.
  6. well, the tuning sound isn't so much a big deal. i need to know if the projection distance of a compact cab will be significantly less than a full-sized one. i'd prefer a lighter cab, yeah, but, y'know, one of the points to getting 2 1x15 cabs is that i can carry them in stages instead of getting a 2x15 cab and lugging that around....
  7. DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Here's my experience on the subject. I used an Eden D410XLT as my gig cab for several years. I loved it...except for the 98 lb.I decided to get a Bag End S15D. Is the Bag End a better cab than the Eden? Of course not. But I also didn't sacrifice anything. I like the Bag End tone and that little cab cranks out serious volume.And it's got tons of depth. Sure at an outdoor gig without a good PA I would prefer the Eden 4x10.
    The Eden was sold off about a year ago and I haven't missed it one bit.