Companies with poor customer service:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i like tictacs, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Please explain your logic. Don't you want repeat customers? This wasn't triggered by any specific event, just a recurring theme. If someone has complained numerous times, wouldn't you try to improve your ways? Basically, my question is, why do many companies not pursue the best customer service possible?
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I find that when I do receive poor customer service, it is at stores where they don't care if I ever come back since so many other millions of people shop there.

Strange enough, some of those same stores have provided me with superb customer service.

3. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Sometimes the problem is the point of contact between the company and the customer (the CS clerk). Underpaid and unhappy.
  4. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

i'd have to guess that they have the "sucker born every minute " attitude .
    most companies actually try to give people their money's worth , imo .

but there are always the few who give crappy service ,
    and in turn , make customers suspicious of all companies .

not trying to drop names , but i seriously doubt you catch Sadowsky , Bergantino ,
    Aguilar , or any number of sucessful bass related companies screwing their customers ...

bad customer relations are more costly than just doing it right the first time ...

5. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I hate companies that already have your money, and then provide truly poor customer service.

Case in point: my health insurance provider. I've been fighting for months to have a number and card issued to me, even though i've been paying into it for almost a year through work. It finally took sending a letter threatening legal action to get a number/card.
  6. As a customer service representative ("It's only one letter away from CSI, Steph!" I consoled myself), all I can say is that the companies that really want repeat business will give outstanding service.

Domino's is one of those companies (well, the store I work for, anyway) who will always do business no matter what, so a few losses here and there are no big deal.

And usually the customers we lose are losers anyway, and I probably lost them because if there's one thing I hate with the passion of a thousand fiery suns, it's stupid people.

I'm really bad at customer service.
  7. jade

Mar 8, 2002

I work in customer service and usually, only one product is bought by the person in their lifetime, so our business depend on word of mouth of happy customers. We are a small independently owned company with 1 store and about 3 employees.

We are probably talking about different markets here but I'm going to defend the stores. Where I work, we give amazing service to people who respect us. To the ones that just abuse us and dont respect, we dont usually serve them with the same amazing service.

Then, there are those customers at are impossible to please, I get treated like a slave and that still doesnt make them happy because we dont carry the certain style they want, when we have over 500 styles for them to pick from. I have to be at their side and fetch whatever they want and then they thow whatever they dont want on the floor if I'm not there to catch it. It's horrible because most things in the store cost about $1000 and it will get dirty and damaged. It's bad customer service if I'm not there to serve them.

We usually dont give price quotes over the phone because it hurts our business. Almost all the other stores will price beat and a lot of customers will call again and again to get a lower quote. In the end, no one will make any money at all. If we dont do give them a quote, it's bad customer service.

We also dont allow pictures while in the store because it hurts our business, so we make it a store policy. This probably angers people the most because they think it's stupid and they'll just take pictures behind our back. If we asked them not to take pictures they get defensive and say we dont care about the customer. Again, we dont want any business and it's bad customer service.

Sometimes, it's not the store, it's the customers.

500 points for the person who can identify what I sell!
  8. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ^ You sell handmade shower rings...
  9. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    hmm Burial Caskets? Only market I can think of that is highliy competitve, highly customizable, and VERY hard to break into, as an outsider.. damn Batesville *LOL*

In the industry I work in, Good Customer Service is subtle and proactive. I'f I'm doing my job right, the customer should never have to call me or talk to me. Alot of the calls I get are when something has gone wrong... And even when it is not my fault, it's my fault...
  10. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    NOPE! That would be some really expensive shower rings...

NOPE! I think caskets start at a few thousand dollars...
  11. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Wedding dresses?
  12. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    that'd be my guess... but I'd also stipulate that reaaally, mostly people buy two... 'cause I'm not as romantic, traditional, or optimistic about the "till death do us part" portion of marriage being legitamate.
  13. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I had to deal with musiciansfriend today the guy who I talked to was n asshat. Also I had to deal with some jerk salesman from guitar center. I find that if you look for someone closer to your age that works there they take better care of you.
  14. mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Asked Fed Ex 3 times to add delivery instructions to a package. I tracked the package this morning and saw it was on the truck for delivery. Called to quadruple check my request and guess what, there was no record of my 3 previous requests. Now there is a good possibility that my band's new PA power amp will be left on my uncovered front porch in the rain instead of on my covered backporch.

If only people would do WHAT THEY SAY THEY ARE GOING TO DO, my life would be much less stressfull.
  15. Thanks to a recent rain storm/power outage, I needed to purchase a new refrigerator (you know, one without the stench of 2 week old food). Enter need for ice maker installation kit. One large home improvement chain has seemingly hired a large group of genetic experiments who have all had the abilty to help gene spliced out of their personality. This is not the first time I've had issues at this store, but it's close to home, so I keep hoping the next batch of new hires is accidentally more helpful than the last. I should just give up.

16. I just saw a thread over in Basses about how someone will never buy a Modulus again because of poor customer support. What the hell is their deal? I love my Modj to death but I don't understand the stick up their asses when it comes to CS. I've also seen a few independent stores around this area (Burlington VT) with a stick up their butt in regards to giving me a hand.
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Generally, I find that the size of a company has an inverse relationship with how well their customer service is.

But on the other hand, when people complain about the service they have recieved from a particular oulet, I take their comments with a grain of salt because of people like Jade was talking about. Many people expect clerks and sale people to kiss their asses.
  18. I've noticed many cutomers expecting the worker to kiss their butt. A lot of them have this bow to me mentality and "I'm always right" so tell me what I want to hear. I'm not too fond of it when people don't treat me like a person and act as if they're better than me.
    I make absolutly sure I give these people the worst service possible. Someone complained about me when I told them to stop being rude.
    Knowing this, I respect everyone when I am a customer and rarely get poor customer service. And If I do, I ask myself it it was me or them. A good customer gets good customer service. And guess what a bad customer gets?
  19. Disagree. Base on the fact that I have worked in the home improvement industry on and off for 10 years and can completely understand just about every possible scenario that would lead to me getting crappy service at this particular store (including my attitude). None of those scenarios was present. This kind of store-wide idiocy is usually a trickle down issue from management or lack thereof.

20. I had some really nice customer support things to say about SWR when I only had their cabs. After (immediately after) I bought an amp I had only the worst things to say about their CS. It seems it was just one CS tech, but that was the one that I always dealt with until my problems were at an end. Another CS guy attempted to undo the ass**** I had gone through- this was around 4 years ago and I'm still pretty pissed about it.