1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Companion for my 151HF : DIY or another Markbass cab ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NickRich, Jul 10, 2009.

1. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi guys,

I have a Marbass 151HF cabinet powered by a GK 700RB-II. I'm very satisfied with those two, but i "need" another cab, basically to have something smaller (living room, small gigs) and to put over my 151HF when a need a little more juice.

I followed threads about Greenboy's fEarfull DIY cabs and I was inspired to build one, but I'm not sure which one would be best suited to use with my 151HF. I read often that it is better to match cabinets than mixing different ones.

So, my question is : should I ...
    1. Build a TL 606 or a 806 (since this would be my first DIY) ?
    2. Build a fEarfull ? Which one ?
    3. Buy a Markbass 151p ?
    4. Eat more carrots ?

PS I play classic rock and the HF driver in my 151HF is mostly off.

2. Doufuss

Doufuss

Mar 4, 2009
    Good for you tackling the DIY.

I would suggest building another 151HF if that's the sound you're after, but using one cab sounds great paired with the 102HF. The 151P is very room dependant from what I've read (not heard) so be careful.

There's a distributor of B&C speakers in Markham with a website here: www.loudspeakers.ca .

I have never used their services, it just gives you an idea about how much the drivers cost on our side of the border.

Bonne chance!

3. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    I was afraid someone would say something like this about the 151p. :bag:

I'm debating with myself (!) whether or not a put another 151HF on top of mine. A 102HF would be the best practical solution (read light weight) but I not sure the resulting tone would be what I want (no stores around here has the 121HF).

Thanks for that link : I will sure go grab some parts there if I go the DIY route.

I was thinking today, mayby I could build a TL 606 adapted for the B&W speaker like the one in my 151HF. That would need alot of calculations though ...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    All bass cabs are room dependent. Has nothing to do with the design.

Your best bet is a second 151HF. Some people mix cabs and like it, but I've never played a mixed cab rig that I liked. And at the very best, it's a crapshoot whether two different cabs will work and play well with each other due to phasing issues.

5. Mixing cab formats can be {a} unsatisfactory {b} ok {c} very satisfying.
    That said, one small cab I love is my Dr Bass 1260 three way. Mine has the slanted front baffle and is the best cab of that size I've ever played through. I use it for all but the loudest, rockingest gigs I play. For more demanding gigs, such as outdoor concerts, arenas, etc., I'll set it atop my Goliath III, where the slant aims the drivers right at my ears......Really Nice!!

One caveat....the wait time if ordering from Dr Bass is ridiculous and I would, frankly, be scared to order one at this point. However, I've seen some non-slanted 1260s for sale in the classifieds here lately so a bargain might be out there.

Also, you would need to compare dimensions to see if it is stackable with your 115.

6. If youre going to contemplate a DR 1260, why not go for more and do a fEarful 12/6/t? You can build it yourself, and I would almost bet that you end up using it all the time and leave the 151 at home.

7. NickRich

NickRich

Oct 13, 2008
    Quebec, Canada
    That's exactly what I first thought : bringing a 12/6 most of the time (to practices), and putting it on top of my 151 when needed. I'm guessing a 12" and a 15" will be a better match than two different 15".

I think it will be either that or a 102HF with a switchable high-pass (frequency to be determined).

And guess which solution will be more fun to build ? :p

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Greenboy is climbing to the top of the tallest mountain in Montana and screaming his lungs out in pain!

You don't build a high end high efficiency cab like a fEarful and throw a commercial cab under it. The fEarful will bury it, except the Markbass will add just enough to the signal to screw it up bigtime. If you build a fEarful 12/6 and you need more, you should build a fEarful 15/6, or maybe add a second fEarful 12/6 (you'd have to talk with Greenie about that for what's best). But a commercial cab under it would be a colossal waste of a great cab.

EDIT: Just my opinion, that's all :D

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The fEarful 12/6 is not a particularly high sensitivity cab. Not sure how realistic the MB sensitivity rating is, but just for kicks I tried this pairing with my 12/6 a few days ago:

[​IMG]

The 12/6 was pretty much buried by the 15/6/1, which uses a very sensitive BMS 15, and I would probably just use the second 1--15 cab I have if I ever needed that much push. The 12/6 is my favorite standalone cab for the sort of gigs I usually do though, FWIW.

If you like the MB cab you have, I'd go with another MB cab and call it a day, I think.

10. Doufuss

Doufuss

Mar 4, 2009
    Sigh.

Bottom line, take your gear to the store and play through the various combinations.

Nobody here can tell you how the setups are going to sound to your ears.

If you do the DIY, keep us posted, love to see it, and see it be successful.