comparable to...

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by Scwwitt, Dec 10, 2005.

1. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Just a quick question, I wanted to know how the barker bass would compare to a NS Designs upright electric, or a dean upright electric. they are all slimmed down and come fretted or fretless. I have had the honor of playing a Barker, but not an NS designs or Dean.

2. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    I've played a Dean briefly.

In general, these and all the other EUBs derive from the orchestral bass.

This defines the string spacing and the neck radius and the bridge. (Also to some extent the string length, though there are many EUBs with shorter scales, the Dean being one.)

The orchestral bass was designed, in the first place, to be bowed. So the strings must be out there where they can be individually accessed.

The Fender bass and its descendants are not made to be bowed. Designing for pizzicato (from the Italian, meaning to "pluck, pick or twang") playing means strings can be closer together and the fingerboard can be of a greater radius (hence flatter). All this translates into much friendlier real estate for both hands of the bass player.

All that and I didn't get to use the word "mwah," which I learned from Andy Pfaff!

3. Scwwitt

Nov 2, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    sweet thanks lee, good to have some information about that stuff. if anybody else has any input that would be sweet! thanks!!