1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

compare 5 string precision neck with 1.75 nut width 5 string stingray neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kkaarrll, Oct 23, 2016.

1. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    anyone have both?

compare!

2. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    The EBMM Sterling has the same width as the Stingray, right? If so then yes I have both and I prefer the Sterling width over the 5-string P. If only the Sterling wasn't too heavy for my puny frame.

kkaarrll likes this.
  3. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    not too much difference but width and chunk though?

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

As far as I know, the EBMM 5'ers all have the same width at the nut. Big Al, 'Ray or Sterling. The Precision V nut width is a few kilometers wider still. I find the P-V a fine playable neck. Especially with DR Low Rider Nickel or Sunbeam strings 45-130.

kkaarrll likes this.
  5. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    kilometers would be tough to play

;)

MarkoYYZ likes this.
  6. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I have both.

The Sting Ray 5 is narrower at both the nut and bridge than the MIA Fender 5s (both Precision and Jazz have the same 5-string neck). The string spacing on the Sting Ray is 17.5mm and the Fenders are 18.5mm. The Sting Ray neck is also thicker — more a C rather than a D shape — than the Precision 5.

I find both the Fender and Sting Ray very playable, but the Sting Ray is more to my liking.

Other EBMMs have thiner necks, not as beefy as the Sting Ray, and I prefer them slightly to the Sting Ray (I have a Bongo 5).

YMMV, of course.

kkaarrll likes this.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I am of course joking. I like the wider Precision V neck & wish my Dimension Deluxe 5 was just like the PBass.

kkaarrll likes this.
  8. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    I have a Stingray Five and a new American Elite Jazz Five, which I think has a neck very similar to the Precision Five.
    Essentially, the Stingray is a little easier to play, but I'm rather liking the Elite's slightly wider neck. It feels really good.

And I'm finding next to no difficulty going back and forth between the two basses.

9. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    It's a noticeable difference between the two.

kkaarrll likes this.
  10. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    any other thoughts here?

11. ubernator

ubernator

Oct 30, 2004
    lost angels
    Not any help I know, but I wanted to share that at least in the world of 4 strings, the stingray has a wider nut than the sterling, which was in 1.5" jazz territory, where the stingray was more in P bass territory.

Also I can't recall seeing any 5 string sterlings. To me the stingray 5 was basically a 5 string sterling, because it also had the 3way switch. Not to say they didnt exist, but I never saw one. (My bass buying heyday was before the sterling 5 existed apparently)

Being a jazz bass guy, I really preferred the sterling over the stingray at the time (1999-2000), but a GC receiving error put a Warwick FNA on the wall marked and priced like a corvette standard. I couldn't pass it up, and that served as my "ray" bass instead. It also had 1.5" nut like the sterling.

As for fender V's, I never could really gel with them, so I can't say much. But I'm pretty sure a P 5 is wider than a ray 5 by a tad.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    kkaarrll likes this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021