1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compare AI Ten2 and Powered Speaker

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Anyone care to offer up a powered speaker that sounds as good as an AI Ten2? I am particularly interested in a "can do everything" rig because I play not only upright and electric through it but guitar, keyboard, and even take mine to church and play the organ through it.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

2. DanL

DanL Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Ohio
  3. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    IMO, a lot of what I like about the AI Ten2 is the preamp section of the head.

I've had really nice and usable results using QSC K10 speakers. I've used only my Fdeck HPF and plugged in my upright bass with very acceptable (not perfect) results. Before any kind of preamp or processing, the QSC's have much more sizzle to them in the high end. I associate the AI tone to be pretty flat if not a bit dark, and the K10s are more hi-fi to my ears.

4. DanL

DanL Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Ohio
    BTW - I do have an Acoustic Image 2Ten EX cab for sale...

5. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Apples and Oranges,
    The QSC's can sound amazing with the right preamp (I.E. Headway EDB-2 or Felix) The newer incarnation of the Ten 2 with the high and low midrange controls would probably have the edge as a combo amp. It's still got two 10" drivers which gives you better low end and mid's.

Ric

The QSC's will likely sound better with guitar.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    Tom Lane likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021