Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compare Alembic F-1X with Aguilar DB-659

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bgavin, Jun 11, 2001.

1. Can anybody out there put a comparison into words?

2. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

HOWDO.. Funny you should ask.. I just traded my Alembic F1-X for a DB-659... I feel the F1-X is fatter and creamier sounding, especially in the low end.. Where as the DB-659 is rounder sounding, maybe more modern sounding.. The F1-X is basically a copy of the Fender Showman..
    I would have liked to have kept the Alembic, it sounds great, but the Aguilar is alittle more versatile.. It has level controls for the effects loop, mastervolume and seems to cut through the mix better... Best of luck.. Steve....

3. Steve,

That is actually great news. Your description of fat and creamy helps. I'm going from SWR to Alembic, and am curious, as there is a DB-659 on eBay now from a reputable seller. He has a Kern, and says the same thing about the Kern and the Aguilar, which is why he is keeping the Kern.

I never played a Fender Showman, so can't make that association. But I did spend a lot of time playing lead through a '70's Bassman tube amp.
    Hmmm baby..

I don't need the advance sections of the Aguilar, as I'm using a Rane PE17 5-band parametric EQ. The minimalist tone controls on the F-1X will be just fine. I bought mine from eBay and it works fine, but is a bit more rough condition than I expected. Why these guys have to put the ON/OFF switch on the back of a rack-mount piece is beyond me...

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I vote for the F-1X because I've loved mine for the last few years. Sounds great, and DO's to a board for PA's and recording well.

bgavin, I always leave mine on and shut it off at the surge protector.

Bones

5. I used an FX-1 a few years ago and was baffled as well, by the on/off switch location. I ended up plugging the power cord of the FX-1 into a junction adaptor from my power amp, then left the FX-1 always on. This set-up always sent power to my amp first and shut-down the preamp last, which is best for both.