1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compare Barge Grinder and 3Leaf Groove Regulator

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bob C, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Has anyone used both of these? I have only read up on them on their websites, and through thread searches here.

The Grinder has more features - and useful ones too - namely, a blend control, two expression pedal jacks, and more frequency range controls which I don't fully understand. Not that the 3Leaf skimped. It is pretty loaded too.

But the Groove Regulator sounds fatter and warmer to me (going only by the soundclips on the two websites), and it is HALF the cost of the Grinder.

Any thoughts?

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    The "fatter & warmer" bit is just a function of the sound clips IMO. I haven't tried a Groove Regulator, but the Grinder sounds just like a Meatball IMO. I think part of that lack of "fat" on the clips is influenced by the fact that they are using the blend knob which I think would be useful in gigging situations even if it sounds a bit thinner for bedroom playing.

The 3Leaf made some good decisions (IMO) as far as what to trim from the circuit, though I would want that blend knob.

Personally I'd go with a Robot Factory Meatwad, but that's just me.

3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I would also want the blend... The Grinder doesn't let you sweep the filter with an expression control whilst the Meatwad does... You can also add a switch to the Meatwad to put the signal through the fx loop even when in bypass... so the Meatwad wins for me. But if you can live without blend or expression control, the Groove Regulator is a great pedal too.

4. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    TheBigO,

You're probably right about the soundclips. - They only tell you so much.

I agree that the only thing 3Leaf should have added would be a blend control.

I've never tried a Meatball or Meatwad. So many choices ...

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    The Grinder does let you sweep the filter with an exp pedal, and it's a 1-1 of the meatwad im pretty sure. I have a photron filter and tentacle love fuzz, as well as a grinder--- the grinder is far and away the best built pedal of the 3- the robot factory stuff seems kind of cheap and both of the pedals I own have missing knob tops and bubbling graphics...

If I had to choose between the groove regulator, meatwad and grinder, it would definitely be the grinder- although I would have had a different answer a few months ago before owning any of the other robotfactory pedals.