Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compare Eden D210xst to Schroeder 1210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frankie Fender, Aug 3, 2005.

1. I am considering both cabs but can't hear either one. I was wondering if anyone who had experience could give me their opinion on how they match up.

My criteria is a (relatively) small, lightweight cab (can be carried with one hand) that is 4 ohms and can handle some wattage. The Eden is rated at 500 watts and the Schroeder at 850 watts. I play classic rock and like a cab with some grind and low-mid girth.

This would be used mostly for loud rehearsals and small gigs. Anything bigger and out comes the trusty NV610.

Maybe there are some suggestions for another cab I may have overlooked in the $700-$800 price range? Any comments are appreciated.

THX

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Can't compare the two, but I can say that I seriously doubt that you'd want to carry a 210XST with one hand. I suppose it is possible, but it weighs about 60lbs and is not the most compact 2x10 by any means - it's a little on the bulky side.

3. 60lbs is not a problem, I'm a bulky guy!

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    :rolleyes: Mmmmkay. Knock yerself out, pal.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Ah....those where the days ;) I just ordered two of Jorg's Mini 12's. I have the 1210 & 1212, and I think they are excellent for classic tone, even with the tweeter on. I can't compare it to the XST, but I have a Eden XLT, and I'll take the Scroeders anyday :bassist:

6. The 1210 is 12lbs lighter, can YOU tell the difference?

7. Thanks for that insight.

8. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, when I switch from 30lb dumbells (2nd set) to 40lb dumbells (3rd set) for curls, yeah, I can certainly tell a difference.

Look, I've got a 210XST, I'm by no means a small guy, and I just tried to tell you that a box that's about 20x20x24 and 60lbs doesn't really carry in one hand too terribly well. It kinda translates into carrying 120lbs with two hands, and you'll find few, if any SVT owners who claim that this is "not a problem". They may say that it's worth the hassle, but I've never seen an SVT owner that didn't have a comment or two about hauling the thing around.

Like I said, sure, it's possible to carry a 210XST in one hand, but you're probably gonna want to use that second handle.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Same for the Schro 1210, in my experience at least. I use a handtruck anyway, so what do I know? :cool:

10. i can't comment on the schroeder, but i have used my eden 210xst by itself and it is a great cab. it easily does the job at loud rock practices and medium sized gigs. it has tons of lows, nice warm sound but tight. the cab dimensions are deeper than many cabs out there, i suspect in order to put out the lows. it is also lighter than the eden 210xlt cab.

11. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    I love my Eden 210XST and use it for everything from rehearsals to medium gigs alone, no experience with the Schro's...

but if you like that warm, low-mid girth, the eden might not be for you. It has more of an even (flat?) response that goes down low, has nice color/tone and meaty for all the notes, without that low-mid hump when everything is set flat.

i recenlty tried a rig with a single ampeg classic 15" and that helped me hear the difference of having low-mids. the ampeg didnt go as low, but had that hump in the low-mids that was nice for rock that the Eden didn't do.

Dont get me wrong, I mostly play rock-y stuff and think the Eden does a great job by itself. but i think you might find yourself missing the sound of your berg 610 from just the eden 210 without a 2nd cab

i'm a medium/lightweight guy (150 lbs 5'9") and i can carry the Eden 210XST with one hand for short distances (up to one NYC city block length) FWIW

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I own two 210XST cabs and one Schroeder 3101212.

The Edens were never loud enough, but then again nothing is ever loud enough for me. They're flat and even so you dont cut through as easily as with the Schroeder. Really nice cabs with an excellent even response, but its hard to beat the Schroeder.

13. Thanks Nick, that is the kind of info I am looking to for. I don't mind a cab being colored as long as it is pleasing and cuts through in a live setting.

I fear that if the Eden's are anything like SWR cabs then I don't want anything to do with them. I had a lot of experience with SWR and owned most of the Pro line, they sounded great solo, but were *always* lost in the band setting and were too clean for my ears, so if the Eden is anything like that, I would opt for the Shro'

14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    In my experience, nothing cuts a live mix like a schroeder. I just got a 1210 about a week ago...it's been to three jobs already. You can carry it one handed, but I don't. While a schroeder will not (in my opinion) be low end biased like some of the edens (xlt's), it can take a lot of low end being eq'd in. It does not disappear in the mix like swr stuff did for me...
    Talk to Jorg, he's a great guy, and will work with you.

15. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I think every thing that can possibly be said about Mr. Schroeders cabs has been said in this forum many,many, many, many, many times. It's really pretty silly don't ya think? Am I the only one who finds this to be annoying? If you've read the 4 million posts on this topic what else can or needs to be said?
    Compare it to an Ampeg...................it's better
    Compare it to an Eden......................it's better
    Compare it to a Trace Elliot...............it's better
    Compare it to a Mesa.......................it's better
    Compare it to an Orange...................it's better
    Compare it to an Acme.....................it's better
    Compare it to an Acoustic.................it's better
    Compare it to an Accugroove.............it's better
    Compare it to an Epifani...................it's better
    Name one......................................it's better
    Name another.................................it's better

So there ya have it. No need to ask another question,no more comparisons needed, just buy one. It's better. :help:

16. Which model do you own?

17. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    I own the Linus 1210 mini-cooper, but I have a Snoopy 1010 on order. They really, really cut through the mix I hear.

18. I guess that the settles it! According to you the Shroeders are the best sounding cabinets for any style, player, planet, platform, venue & volume level. And I'll take your word for it.
    I guess all the other cabinet makers should just concede defeat.

Wow, no wonder the prices have been jacked!

19. [​IMG]

20. USAJO

USAJO

Apr 13, 2005
    Ya may be jokin with me but on the chance your not. I have no idea what a Schroeder cab sounds like and I'm sure they are nice but everytime I log in here and see the non stop Schroeder posts my blood pressure goes through the roof. Now if someone could show me how to block out all posts that include the word Schroeder I would probably enjoy my visits here much more. I have no idea what they sound like but I know I could never buy one no matter how great they may or may not be. I've developed a bad case of Schroedernoma and break into hives when I see the word. Dang shame huh?