Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compare G&L MFD Split-P

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bgavin, Feb 11, 2003.

1. Does anybody have any first-hand comparision experience between the split-P MFD type pickup in the G&L SB-2?

I'd like to get an idea about how it compares with a MIA Fender, or others.

I'm interested in:

Thump
    Clarity
    Output
    Tone

My listening experience covers the MIM stock P, the Duncan Hot for P, and the DiMarzio Will Power Middle. I noticed as I moved into the hotter output pickups, the thump decidedly went away.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have recent experience with the SB-1. Same pup, right? Almost no thump. Good clarity, but not so good as many actives. Very high output. I'm not sure what to say about the tone, except it sounded good with rounds, but I didn't like it with flats. I currently have a Franken-P with a SPB-1 which is very thumpy and sounds great with either flats or rounds, and a Washburn XS-1 (sort of a 24-fret P-bass, but with the pup 5/8" closer to the bridge) with a SPB-2. The Washburn sounds pretty good with TI flats, thumpier than you might expect. Both have a stronger attack (i.e. they're thumpier) than the SB-1.

The SB-1 had considerably deeper lows (almost EMG-like) than any other passive P-bass pickup I've tried. It also seemed to have a much flatter frequency response that a vintage-voiced P pickup, making it less P-like - no low-mid bump.

For these reasons, I'm not playing the SB-1 any more.

Hope this helps.

3. FW,

Thanks for the reply. Buffalo Bros offers the MFD split-P for $41 shipped, but if it does not thump, I will pass it by.