Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compare: SWR Goliath Senior/Megagoliath

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razor, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I've gotten mixed opinions on both of these cab's and after playing both I have to say that the Mega doesn't seem to put out the "wall o' sound" that I thought it would compared to it's little bro G. Senior. A plus is that it can take a bit more power.
    I have a Big Bertha that I am still undecided on as to whether or not I will keep (way more bass output than I need) and I have a Goliath III 4x10 that I am loving. I am just wanting to get thoughts/opinions from SWR fans who have either/both of the cab's and get pro's and con's. Thanks for any help you can give.
    BTW I play all kinds of music and the sound of the Goliath 4x10 is serving me well but I need to move a bit more air with my rig.

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Do the Senior. I just got mine and the tone is uncompromisable. It pumps sounds from my Peavey I never thought were possible with it. The Megoliath isn't worth the money, especially for only 200 more watts than the Senior. Keep the Big Bertha, put that Goliath III towards a Senior and you'd have an awesome set up.

~Patrick

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i like the senior better for it's ridiculous loudness and punch, but the mega can go a bit lower.

4. thelastofus

thelastofus Guest

Jul 3, 2002
    Bakersfield, Ca
    first of all, decide if you want to keep the 15's or not. if not then sell it, buy a 2x10, or a nother 4x10 and you're not dishing out all kinds of dough. or sell both and buy a senior.

5. bump for gosh sakes.

6. If you like the sound of the goliath, keep it, and add another. 2 4x10's on either side of the drummer, and the 18" below the 4x10 closest to you sounds rediculous (in a good way). No need to buy an 8x10, if u already ahve a 4x10 and an 18. Just makes sense to me, both "sonically" and "bonesilly" (amount of bones you'll be spending).

7. GO FOR THE SENIOR!!! I'M THINKING ABOUT GETTING A BIG BERTHA + ANOTHER SVT COUPLED WITH MY SVT+ GOLIATH SR.....

TALK ABOUT OVERKILL!!! :bassist: :bassist:

8. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I've played the Sr. next to a Goliath III. The specs are true. To get the Senior to be loud the compromise is in frequency response. Check the specs the Sr. doesn't go as low and it's noticeable with a 5-string. I bought two IIIs. Easier to move actually. If you are using a passive Fender and you are playing punk/contemporary rock that lack of lows may not bother you.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Man..I'd almost forgot about this thread..
    I kept the GIII, bought another SWR 4X10 to go along with it and that makes up my medium rig.
    As for the Senior..well I picked it up as well, it sits alongside my Big Bertha for the larger gig's. It's an awesome combination and I appreciate everyone's input very much....
    Now if I can only figure out where this Mesa Powerhouse 1000 will go.... :meh: