Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compare the F BN-5 to the Studio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Dec 22, 2002.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've re-read, many times, Brad Johnson's comparison between his F Bass BN-5 and his Studio. I think that he even said that he would probably keep the Studio and sell the BN-5.

I was hoping that if there are any other F Bass owner that have or had both could make a comment. It seems that the BN-5 is the most common of the line. I just love my BN-5!

I'm really curious to hear a few comments...Adrian Garcia, have you had a Studio?

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Haven't sold the BN5 yet... just can't seem to bring myself to do it;)

3. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I can sure understand that.

Lately I've been doing alot of practicing and learning some new songs using my '69 Jazz bass. So I haven't touched the BN-5 for several days. I picked the BN-5 up for just a few minutes and it stunned me just how nice and easy to play that F Bass is.

I'm planning my next bass and I'm really thinking on a Studio...like I need another bass, huh!

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Havent has a Studio in here, so im afraid i cant comment-- hopefully ill have a better idea sonn

5. I'd certainly like to try a Studio out. It seems like it might be more my style overall since I'm really looking to creep into "super jazz" territory. The BN5 is nice, but I've been thinking about trading or selling it (I can't use it to even a quarter of its potential). I just don't think I could get much for it in this market, so I haven't acted on anything yet.

Brad, you said that the Studio is closer to a vintage jazz tone than the regular BN5, right? I'd really like to get a good 5-string super/vintage jazz type bass and a 5-string that can pull off a nice round P bass sound. So, I'm thinking about maybe going Roscoe as well.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Da5id HeX, i have become huge fan of F basses- however- since im waiting on my buckeye one, and im selling the one ive been playing, and i dont want to put any scratches on it- i have almost exclusively been playing my new Roscoe 6-
    i am amazed at the clarity of tone,very clean and punchy- lo b of doom- great fretwork and a neck of steel- but if you are lookng for a Fendery sound- the Roscoe is not it- i keep hearing bout the P bass sound and i guess it sounds P-ish if you pan to the neck pup- but its not more p sounding than jut about any other bass ive tried-- like say, a lakland-- if you roll to the neck pup- it sound p-ish too--
    thats why i have decied that i will have an F and a Roscoe , because they are so different- the slap sound on a Roscoe is not the Fendery Marcus Miller slap- i do like the slap sound on the Roscoe, but its tighter- not as full bodied as a Fender or F bass-
    for headroom and huge bottom, the Roscoe is , like i said before- super clean, though-- i am thrilled with it

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Like Adrian said, the Roscoe does a few things very well... a Jazz type sound isn't one of them.

The Studio IMO has that combination of being able to move a lot of air AND have that J bass bite and growl.

I got my BN5 at a giveaway price IMO and I don't plan on selling it at a giveaway price. Excellent bass but I do think I hear a difference between it and the Studio.

I'd consider myself a guy who finally figured out that he loves the J sound... basically an aggressive sound with body. My main bass is a Brubaker.

Hmmm...

Also on the list of what I use is my Fender FMT V, a super Jazz IMO. A bargain.

8. Thanks for the info Brad and Adrian.

I think primarily I've found my "super jazz" in the BN5 I currently own, and I would probably only trade/sell it for an F Studio 5 (unless I finally decide that the F is just flat out too much bass for me). My problem now is that I'm looking for a sort of "super P" with 5 strings!

In fact, I'll probably start a thread about this later so I can keep from totally derailing this one. Thanks again.