1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

compare these gig bags

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Protec Contego
    Gator Go pro
    Mono M80

which would you get and why?

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

If I had to choose between those three, and if money wasn't an issue, I'd go with the Mono "Vertigo". I like the "Headlock" and "The Boot" features. It looks like it'd protect a bass quite well.

If I may make an alternate suggestion…I rather like the SKB Universal Bass Soft Case. It's effectively a gig bag made out of a polyfoam case.

Universal Shaped Electric Bass Soft Case | SKB Music / ProAV

buldog5151bass likes this.
  3. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    I believe I own the Mono M80. It has the headlock and boot features. Also great storage design. I'd purchase the gig bag many more times. And It's not as expensive as some other bags.

buldog5151bass likes this.
  4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Mono M80. Stellar protection, military-grade materials, well thought out design and killer looks.

5. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    I have the Reunion Blues Continental Bass and i'm 100% satisfied in terms of usability and protection.
    I'd buy that again any time.
    From your list, i'd also choose the Mono.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Anyone else???

7. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I had a Mono Vertigo for guitar & it was the bee's knees, well worth the cash IMHO

8. dinoadventures

dinoadventures Feets don't fail me now!

Jul 10, 2015
    Dallas, TX
    I went with the Gator because of the external storage.

9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

That's one thing about Mono, they really gouge you for those external clip-on accessory bags.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I have a MONO M80 dual bass case. I have had great experiences with MONO products so I continue to use them. And yes, the Tick add-on for storage does cost a lot and is pretty much a needed thing if you carry much stuff. There isn't much onboard storage.

Since this is TB I have to muddy your search. Have you checked out Levy's stuff? My Dingwall gig bag is top shelf. I will often use it to haul other basses aside form my Dingwall.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  11. I have the mono. I like it, but the block that props the neck up has started to detach and some of the outer trim is starting to look bad. Mine is a few years old, but I really don't use it much.

12. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Orange County, Ca
    I have both the M80 and the Protec Contego. The M80 goes with me to all rehearsals and gigs. Great gig bag.

The Protec seems much heavier but it does add more protection.

13. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I just bought a Protec Contego. I like it , well made and good storage.
    Nice features. My other bag is a Reunion Blues I bought back in the 80's.
    It does not have impact panels but has held up really well.

14. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I have both a Mono M80 (Dual) and a Protec Contego. Would happily buy either one again, but I'm not sure I have a preference of one over the other.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021