Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Compare These two basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RJS, May 19, 2002.

1. RJS

RJS

May 12, 2002
    I'm comparing an MTD Grendal 5 and a Lakland Skyline 55-02. Just wondering what everyone thought of these two basses. I'm thinking of getting one of the two of them. Unfortunately, both will have to be purchased without trying them out - one of the drawbacks of living out in the boonies :p

Anyway, just looking for some opinions since they are both about the same price.

Thanks,

RJS

2. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    search my child and you will find

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Actually, I don't think that you could go wrong with either one. They are both fantastic mid-priced basses, and tone, playability, and construction should be top-notch on either one. They are, however, two very different basses designed for two different types of players. Since I live near the Lakin shop, I've had the pleasure to be involved with all of the Lakland Skyline series basses before they were made available to the public and have spent some time with each model. Do a search on my name or the topic for a thorough evaluation of the new models being released this summer.
    Lakland basses were designed to meld the best qualities of Fender and Music Man basses, while using modern technology to improve the overall instrument. They are good for slapping, but I feel that they are mainly geared to old school players who need a bass with a low B that looks, feels, and sounds "familiar".
    The MTD camp is coming from a different place. These basses are voiced for the modern player and tend to have more of a "scooped" sound. The look and feel will be considerably different than a more traditional Lakland, and the B string will probably be more agressive than that of the Lakland.
    Ultimately, you are either going to have to try them both before you decide, or just pick one and hope for the best, because there really isn't a good substitute for actually playing the instrument yourself. Personally, I'd go with the Lakland, because you get a bass that is set-up here in the US, and you get the amazing service that Lakland is famous for...not to mention the fact that Laklands are well-rounded basses suited to all styles. Of course, the next guy/gal who posts could tell you why the attact and bite of a Grandal is the way to go!

4. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    No question, the Lakland 5502 is by far the better of the two. Although, I'm not sure but I believe the 5502 is more money then the grendal.

my opinion from playing the two.

5. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    It so happens that I have a beautiful transparent
    red, 5 string Grendel, that I must sell.
    Mike Tobias, hand picked it for me. Great
    example of this model. Like brand new.You can check it out, see what you think. Let me know if you have any interest.