Compare Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Rounds, and Infeld Superalloys

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by dagrev, Feb 22, 2010.

1. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    I've been using the TI Jazz flats for some time a really love them on Precisions. I had a set of some Infeld Superalloy Round Wounds from a bass I bought and tried them on a Jazz and was really surprised at how they had some mid thump. I'm really liking flats for the deep mids and was impressed how the TI SAs didn't have the kind of low-mid hollowness typical of most rounds. (If you disagree with my appraisal of rounds that's fine, but that's not what I'm interested in exploring in this thread. ;))

I was wondering if anyone has tried the TI Jazz rounds and the SAs and how they compare. Also, are the Jazz rounds less in tension than the Flats?

Any personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

2. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I'm curious myself.

3. dagrev

dagrev Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Kentucky
    Apparently we are alone!

4. daniva

daniva

May 15, 2009
    hey dagrev, i'm planning to buy a set of superalloy TI, but i dont know about the tension, is it as low as the jazz flats? ... i liked the tone of TIs but not the loose string feeling

5. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    Superalloys are quite the opposite of Ti flats, they are higher in tension-think, DR lowriders. They are much brighter and modern sounding than TI flats. I have had both on the same fretless and found that I needed the SA's to punch through the band, although I find their tension a little high for my taste. Stephan Lessard of DMB uses SA on his modulus basses, so you can get an idea of their tone. Great string though, very high quality like all TI products. If they made a lower tension version of the Sa they would be the only round I would use.

Also, TI jazz rounds are MUCH lower tension than jazz flats. I had a set on for a while and couldn't get used to the jazz rounds, although I love the jazz flats.

6. Yep, the Jazz Rounds are lower tension than the Jazz Flats. Low tension combined with teh round core makes them very flexible.

They windings on the Jazz Rounds are also much smaller making for a very smooth feeling round. The mid presence is a bit higher on the JR versus the SA. I prefer the Jazz Rounds but both are great.

If you can get used to the lower tension I think the Jazz Rounds are the best roundwounds made.

7. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    We'll,each to his own of course. I found that the occasions when I want to use rounds at all, namely funk and slapping, didn't suite the TI jazz rounds. They had no sizzle on the D and G strings and are very mellow. They were great for upper fret solo passages where they really sang out, but then again, so are my TI Flats. Also, I suppose if one developed the lightest touch in the whole world you could get used to the tension, but I found it difficult to use my normal right hand techniques. The left hand loves it for sure!

8. I absolutely agree with this. While I am sure people use these strings for those purposes on a whole I would think these strings are not suited at all for slapping or funk. And the D and G are very mellow. They are my favorite because they suit what I play well, I am not a slapper at all.

The tension did make me alter my playing style a bit but once I got used to it I found it improved my technique on a whole. I don't have the lightest touch though. I have no problem with a tiny bit of buzz as long as it does not come through amplified.

9. etherealme

etherealme Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Louisiana
    I don't mean to high-jack this thread, though I think the OP's question has already been answered, no?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on the SA IN345's and am curious about getting some feedback about their tone. The string tension is higher; I'm fine with that aspect. Actually what's drawing me to them is the high B string tension even on a .125 gauge. I'd like a tight B.

So, is there a tone someone can relate these strings to? I'd make some player comparisons but honestly, I'd probably come off a bit pretentious rather than saying anything worthwhile.

I'll be using these B-E-A-D on a fretless warwick. I'd like some snap and sizzle; digging in finger attack for funk with no slapping.

engedi1, got some more feedback on these, bud?

Thanks.

10. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    I used these strings on a G and L fretless Five string, and they kept up pretty well in my 5 piece rock band. That bass has some neck warping issues, and I could never get the action anywhere comfortable for me, but the strings sounded pretty great while they were on there. My bro in law is a carpenter and is sanding down the neck and trying to straighten it out for me. Then, I will probably put Sunbeams or SIT nickels on it.

11. I have the Superalloys on my G&L L2500. All I can say that they are fabulous. The B is thight and clear sounding down to the last note.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021