1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Compare Yamaha BBX v 2000/3000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kbuschmann, Nov 8, 2018.

1. kbuschmann

kbuschmann Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Would appreciate any info you can give me on the difference between the BBX and the BB2000 or 3000 series. Prices for the former seem considerably less than the latter.
    Thanks

2. Mo'Phat

Mo'Phat Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2003
    San Diego, CA, USA
    Are you asking about the new BB series compared to the BB's from the '80's?

My BB2000 from 80-something is neck-thru, weighs over 10 lbs, and is a fat ass tone monster. Older BB instruments have the mojo-tax applied, especially since a Beatle, a Van Halen, and a No Doubter played one.

3. kbuschmann

kbuschmann Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Los Angeles
    2000/3000 from the 80's. I'm not sure when the BBX was built, but some are described as 'vintage'....whatever that might mean.

4. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    My understanding - which may be incorrect - is that BBX was a non-export model. It sports a bolt-on construction, as opposed to neck through on BB2000/3000. I've never played a BBX, but have owned pretty much all of the higher-end Yamaha basses from that era and they are stellar instruments IMO. I see no reason why BBX would be any different in that respect.