Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comparing Ampeg BA115 to Genz Benz GBE100-115T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnQPublic, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Has anyone here compared the Ampeg BA115 combo amp to the Genz Benz GBE100-115T? I'm trying to choose between these two but have only been able to listen to the Ampeg. They are in the same price range and 100watts...but how do they compare in tone, quality of build & overall reliability? :meh:

Thanks,
    John

2. Anyone have anything to say about either amp?
    I have only heard good things about both but was looking for something concrete to sway me one way or the other.
    I play a fretted '78 P-bass (ash/maple) and a fretless 94' Carvin (mahoghany). I would like a combo amp that enhances the wood tones and something good for practice/small coffee house gigs. :)

3. I have decided to go with the Ampeg BA-115 combo for the following reasons:

1. I know and like the Ampeg sound
    2. Ampeg has a great reputation for reliability and is still actually made in USA
    3. Much easier to find at local dealers which means should anything go wrong parts should be cheaper/easier to find.

Now I just need to find out if there is any real difference between the BA115 and the BA115AV(other than the grill). At Zzounds the BA115 sells for $450 and the BA115AV sells for around $430.
    Can someone tell me if the only difference is looks :meh:

4. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    The difference between the 115av and 115 is just the look. You may want to check out an Ampeg B100R also. That amp and a P bass are a great fit.

Lync