1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Comparing Dr. Q to Mini-Q-Tron

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by e p, Nov 9, 2005.

1. e p

e p

Sep 7, 2004
    Chicago
    So Ive been doing some research concerning both pedals and Im leaning toward the Dr. Q.

Want I want in my envelope filter is a relatively cheap (not much more than 100$) and subtle sound. Just something subtle to add to my sound, not the more obtrusive 'quacky.' filters.

So which one of these could get what I want. Ive read many people say the Dr. Q can do this, but I would just like a finalized opinion before I purchase it. And by all means, if anyone knows of a similar pedal feel free to share.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I really liked the Dr. Q because it is subtle. I'm not a big fan of overly filtered effects, so the Dr. Q is right down my alley. Definately worth trying.

3. WovenGraphite

WovenGraphite Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2005
    Bay Area, California
    Please explain "quacky".

Dr Q and Mini Q Tron don't do the same thing.
    I have both and enjoy both but they provide different things.

Dr Q as its name says is all about Q. If you're not familiar with that, it means that it accentuates the resonance rather than the sweep.

I think I can describe it this way: if you think about the sound of the envelope filter being something that would read like "bwaaaa", the Q is how strong is the "b" (duckiness as I call it) and the sweep is how strong is the "waaaa". If you mute the string after the note, you might endup with a "bwaap".
    Probably samples would be better? Start by checking EHX's website for both Dr Q and Mini Q Tron samples.
    As per Mike Beigel, the designer of the original Mu Tron and commisioned for the updated products now sold by EHX, the Mini Q Tron is closer to the original design of the MuTron III.

I think you are looking for a box where you can control the resonance (or the Q) on the filter. Dr Q only provides one button and it's for the range of frequency swept not the Q.

Hope this helps
    :hyper:

4. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    +1 I use this with my EBS OctaBass and it is my fav pedal combo I have.