Comparing Eminence 18'' Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ClintUtz, May 2, 2012.

1. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    I need to by a replacement speaker for my cab and Im looking at the Eminence Omega Pro 18C 4ohm, Delta Pro 18C 4ohm and the Impero 18C 4ohm. If anyone knows some hard facts about them that would be great. Thanks!

2. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Why 4ohm?

I would have to check most those sound like high excursion subs.
    so the sensitivity might be a little to low maybe i missed something.

Think the Sigma pro 18A-2 seemed to work in smaller boxes
    like the SWR big ben. Think one other does good in small boxes
    but lacks enough highend. I know that sounds ridculous for a 18"
    but you need enough to make em work with bass.

that is a 8ohm so oops now yah gotta get 2 of em....darn

if it has to stay 4ohm most likely the omega it has better sensitivity and highend than the delta in the 4ohm version.
    otherwise if you can go 8ohm then the Sigma pro18a2 will perform similar to the omega.

3. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Agree with Bogey - The Sigma Pro 18A2 is the one to get, even though it's 8 ohms. It will go louder than the 4-ohm Delta Pro or Impero will go with twice the wattage, and will be roughly the same loudness as the 4-ohm Omega Pro but the Sigma has considerably more top-end energy than the Omega or the other two. And you have the option of adding a second 8-ohm cab later if needed.

4. Bass Unique

Bass Unique

Nov 3, 2011
    Wiltshire
    Are you sure you need an 18? Running 18's for full range is a recipe for beaming your available high frequencies. If you use an 18, use a crossover. There are also very limited 18's which would work in a horn reliably. Kind of limits their use to low end only in a direct radiator or bandpass box.

Sorry, off topic a bit! :)

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yes....what cab and why 4 ohms? If it's an old Peavey 1810, their crossovers are set up for a 4ohm 18 on the low side and a pair of 8ohm 10's ( also 4ohm ) on the high side. That, or having a tube amp with no 8ohm tap is about the only reasons I could see for going 4 ohm.

6. There is no info on Eminence’s website about the Omega Pro 18C or Delta Pro 18C - but the Impero 18C is listed Speaker Detail | Eminence Speaker

7. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    I was thinking of going 4ohm because in I was hoping it would be louder than the 8. and im just running it with my fender bassman 150 by just spliting it speaker it has and the 18 cab I have but the speaker blew and it doesnt have to have great highend because the bassman is handling that part. But if I run the 18 cab through a head some highend would be nice.

8. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    And I cant figure out how to post pictures if some one can explain it to me I can post some pictures of the cab im putting the speaker in.

9. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    I use a EV DL18MT in combo with whatever is laying around for the high end. EPIC!

10. Mousekillaz

Mousekillaz

Nov 25, 2009
    Anacortes Wa.
    go advanced, and click the paper clip to add a pic from your comp.

11. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    heres some pictures of the cab and I was wondering if I should leave the foam in it?

Attached Files:

12. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    Yah its pretty easy decision then.

and glad no crossover, Will33 made a good point.

So no going 4ohm wont help much since the 4ohm versions
    have less sensitivity.And yes technically will get more power from the amp. but the extra power will put it at the same level as 8ohm.

likewise most amps wont go lower than 4ohms so even if your using a single amp on it now. Its better to have a 8ohm speaker so you could pair it with another driver/cabs in the future if needed.

you could post pictures of your box, but i already anticipated that the box would be around 3 to 5 cubic feet like most factory cabs.

and the 18" speakers that work in smaller boxes can be tuned
    to 25 to 40hz most factorys around 30 to 45hz.
    So its ok no brainer here. The Sigma has the biggest magnet
    and highest sensitivity. Price is decent wah zamm.

Edit... leave the foam in
    they are in the
    Professional series under 18" or here and here

oh duh ;)Duke already said what i said....
    There was some excitement I seen in that one thread about some 18" cabs did you come up with something yet. Its a fun speaker for what it is.

13. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    what do you mean by pictures of my box? its a home made cab so theres alot of mystery to it

14. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune rational romantic mystic cynical idealist Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 24, 2008
    Princeton, Texas
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    Yes, I do have a cab with an 18" woofer in the pipeline.

15. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    Its been suggested that I should put more holes in it for more air flow whats your thoughts on that or would a tweeter or horn be a good idea to?

16. I missed that page - thanks for the link. :)

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I have one of these, you can put it on your "affordable but decent" list.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-036

It has some top to it for an 18, not a dedicated sub. In 5-5.5 cu.ft tuned 40ish hz, it just reaches 40 and has about a 3db hump around 80hz....sounds loud. 6mm xmax. I've hit it with 200-300 watt amps and it doesn't complain. I use it crossedover as a make shift PA sub until I get my horns built, but it makes an alright bass cab in a pinch....ie: has some mids to it, not just all bass.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Liking the upholstery, man.

Post internal measurements of the box and tuning port so we can see what we're working with and what mods/adjustments might need doing.. Yes, keep the lining. May end up wanting to add crossbraces, and depending on the size, might not be a bad idea to retrofit the baffle for a 15.....keep that as a possible option.

19. ClintUtz

ClintUtz

Nov 27, 2009
    the inside top to bottom is 29 inches from left to right is also 29 inches and from the front to the foam on the back is 10 inches and from front to the back past the foam is 11 and 1/3 inches and the air slot at the bottom is 16'' by 3''. And I bought a eminence 18 sigma pro 18A2 yesterday cause that seemed to be what everyone was saying and it was a great deal for a quality speaker.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Well before you do anything, try it out and see what you think.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021