Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Comparing Ibanez GSR-200 to MIM P bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gandolf Bassist, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Hello, I have an Ibanez GSR-200 as a backup and I like the sound of a Fender P-bass but I havent played one, so I'm wonderin if it would be in my interest to trade my Ibanez and then some cash for a MIM Fender P bass. The Ibanez is in great condition, there are no marks on it what so ever. I've hardly played it!

2. DrunkenJoker84

DrunkenJoker84

May 11, 2001
    My first bass was a GSR200. I strongly believe its the sweetest beginner bass ever. Stick with it, I say.

3. Im no expert, but ive played on heaps of basses and the gsr-200 is one of the most comfortable and best sounding (once u get the crappy factory strings off,) basses ive ever picked up. Ive played loads, even ones costing as much as $2500 and i usualy prefer the ibanez.

I used to have a squire then sold it 5 months after buying it to get the gsr-200, a brilliant bass.
    I love it. Keep it man! You'll be making a mistake if u sell it.

4. If possible, I'd keep the GSR200 and try and get the P bass anyway. The P Bass is easily upgradeable, and relatively cheap. Plus, you'd regret selling your first bass, especially if you got a decent GSR200(very inconsistent in manufacture).

Ever thought about an MIM J Bass? I wouldn't buy one(Fender sucks IMO) but everyone else seems to like them.

5. I have the GSR190,which is the forerunner(I believe)to the 200.It was my first bass,so I will always keep her.Actually a great lil beginner bass.The neck is nice and the body is light.Anyway you can swing keeping the ibanez and still get the P?

If I had to choose one it would probably be the MIM P bass...but I like fenders.

Good luck!

6. Well I'm another one that started on an Ibanez GSR 200 back in the day, and yes I agree that they are very inconsistant, I played I think 10 of them, and only about 2 of them were any good... Usul, the 190 is the same as 200, that they put in beginner packages. I've played lots of different basses, and personally value wise I like my Ibanez GSR 200 more than MIMs, but thats just my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I love Fenders. Its just my Ibanez beat out the MIMs in all places except 1... upgradability.

7. bobaweeka

bobaweeka

Jan 2, 2001
    Yes
    Aren't the pickup configurations different on the 190 and 200?

8. 190/200 both have a P/J combo, the 100 (Which is what you are thinking) has just the P

9. Hey everyone, I have decided to keep my Ibanez GSR-200 (I got a good one), and I'm going to buy the MIM P-bass too. So thanks to everyone who posted, and everyone is still welcome to offer their opinions since I won't be finalizing anything for a couple weeks.

10. Oh and everyone, I know this is probably going to sound stupid, but I have only seen the MIMs in black with white pick guard, and that's from the shop, and some online stores, now I am not very familiar with Fenders, so I am wondering if they make a dark blue finish MIM P-bass, since I know they make them in higher models, or so I've seen, but it might have been refinished. Wow thats a run on sentence. Once again thaks to any one who replied.

Dolf

11. MIM P-Basses come in:

Black
    Midnight Blue
    Midnight Wine
    Arctic White
    Brown Sunburst

All with white pickguards and rosewood necks. For sunburst you add £30($42).

Try and get one from a store. As said before, MIM's do vary a little from bass to bass.

12. MIMs do come in Midnight Blue, but I warn you I've heard from lots of people that its more of a purple than it is blue.