comparing Peaveys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Jun 7, 2001.

1. OK, it seems to me there are 3 widely-owned "high-end" Peaveys (and please don't call that an oxymoron!).

What are your thoughts on the comparative sound, features, and values of the G-bass, Millenium, and Cirrus lines?

My 2 cents: I just bought a used G-bass, which hasn't arrived yet. I find the mids on the G-bass to be somewhat too aggressive, but i own a semi-parametric EQ pedal (Yamaha Nathan East NE-1) which I will use to "sweep and destroy" the offending freq's. The playability and ruggedness of the G-bass are, IMO, exceptional. . .
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I tend to stay away from basses I have to "fix" tonally to play.

Have fun.

IME the Cirrus is an extremely playable bass in 4, 5 or 6. The different wood combinations do sound different and I find I prefer the Redwood top with Maple a close second.

I like the Milleniums I've played. The G basses were okay. The graphite neck in that price range is a bonus but my first concern is sound and it didn't blow me away. YMMV.
  3. CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Cirrus - wow. Amazing bass. Just keep a fresh set of batteries in the case when you gig. Active pickups sound fantastic in this onster. Sweepable mid would be nice.... One day, I will own one.

Millenium - never played one. Bass Player really liked it.

G-Bass - sounded great for slapping and funk. Neck was VERY nice. I was unable to coax a wide array of tones from it, though, fromn its one pickup (kinda like a Stingray). I also cannot stand the color choices. A G-bass in 4-string, two pickups, and a tung-oiled wood body would be mine in about 5s.