1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

comparing Peaveys

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Jun 7, 2001.

1. OK, it seems to me there are 3 widely-owned "high-end" Peaveys (and please don't call that an oxymoron!).

What are your thoughts on the comparative sound, features, and values of the G-bass, Millenium, and Cirrus lines?

My 2 cents: I just bought a used G-bass, which hasn't arrived yet. I find the mids on the G-bass to be somewhat too aggressive, but i own a semi-parametric EQ pedal (Yamaha Nathan East NE-1) which I will use to "sweep and destroy" the offending freq's. The playability and ruggedness of the G-bass are, IMO, exceptional. . .

2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I tend to stay away from basses I have to "fix" tonally to play.

Have fun.

IME the Cirrus is an extremely playable bass in 4, 5 or 6. The different wood combinations do sound different and I find I prefer the Redwood top with Maple a close second.

I like the Milleniums I've played. The G basses were okay. The graphite neck in that price range is a bonus but my first concern is sound and it didn't blow me away. YMMV.

3. CYoung

CYoung

Nov 30, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Cirrus - wow. Amazing bass. Just keep a fresh set of batteries in the case when you gig. Active pickups sound fantastic in this onster. Sweepable mid would be nice.... One day, I will own one.

Millenium - never played one. Bass Player really liked it.

G-Bass - sounded great for slapping and funk. Neck was VERY nice. I was unable to coax a wide array of tones from it, though, fromn its one pickup (kinda like a Stingray). I also cannot stand the color choices. A G-bass in 4-string, two pickups, and a tung-oiled wood body would be mine in about 5s.