Comparing Pirastro Perpetuals to Obligatos --- Which ONE is the Obli?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by rickwolff, Jul 16, 2019.

1. G String

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. D String

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  3. A String

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  1. rickwolff

rickwolff Supporting Member

I know there is already a thread for the new Perpetuals, but I wanted to do a comparison with the Obligatos and have a poll, so here it is.

Depending on how this goes I may switch out another one a bit later.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  2. rickwolff

What?? You don't hear any difference?

If that's the case say so.

3. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Not a huge difference. I guessed the D string. I would stick to perpetuals for longevity (Assuming the steel string last longer than synthetic) and no roll.

4. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    I still wonder how you keep the glare off your glasses...

Great playing, as a yearling I'd just guess the G string because there seems to be a little (I mean a very little bit) more character to the tone. But whatever string it is, it's really hard to tell.

Wonderful sounds though.

Funny joke; it's unusual to hear one that isn't copied from banjos.

5. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Rick,
    I honestly can’t tell. Since there’s gotta be one that’s different I lean towards the A. But I’m only guessing- the difference between the three top strings really to me is not noticeable in any way, and certainly it’s not disturbing.

Best
    Sidecar

6. I believe (and voted) the G is the Obligato.
    -It has a different tone to my ears, what we call "organic" or "warm"
    -The "kick" is different and more "round"
    -Less upper mids

I much liked the A string.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  7. MrSidecar

MrSidecar Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Jeez
    I can’t even read the thread title right. I was assuming only one perpetual and the others obligato. Not that it makes much difference to my ears that way- but that makes me think it’s the G. Sounds “older” for lack of a better word, but only ever so slightly.
    Best
    Sidecar

8. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    That's possibly a good point though... The 3 Perpetuals are pretty new, aren't they? What vintage is the Obligato? Is this potentially a vintage mix test that could never be repeated?

9. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Black Mountain, NC
    I voted A string

10. rickwolff

WOW, Very Interesting. Thank you all for participating. I'll let this run another day or so and then post the answer.

11. paulunger

paulunger Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That’s funny. My first thought when I put the Perpetuals on was that they felt like Obligatos. But louder, more sustain and lower tension.

Selim and rickwolff like this.
  12. AGCurry

AGCurry Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2005
    St. Louis
    I voted D because it seemed slightly softer open.

labravajazz likes this.
  13. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I'd be very surprised if it isn't G. I thought it sounded softer and more mellow in the 1st 10 seconds.

14. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    To my ear, the D sounds a little duller arco, but then the G sounds duller when you play pizz. Hmm. . . I think I shall officially charge you with some sort of trickery, where immediately as you put the bow down, the G string changed to an Obligato and the D went back to a Perpetual. Yeah, that's it! :)

labravajazz, panos and rickwolff like this.
  15. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    G

16. rickwolff

Thanks to everyone who played.

The correct answer is: THE D STRING

What is this confirms for me is several things:

-The Perpetuals sound very similar (as good as?) the Obligatos, which to me is a good thing (especially since the Perpetuals are only a couple days old and sounded just like this right out of the box).

-The fact that more people guessed the G string tells me that it is a very warm, good sounding string right out of the box, no breaking in necessary. I really like the G string. I like the whole set but the G may be my favorite.

I had thought that perhaps the Obligatos had a little more 'pop' on the front end, which may be a characteristic of strings with a synthetic core (like EPs?).

If these strings longevity is as good as their sound they are going to be very popular I predict.

17. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    For me, as long as they last a year i'm all set.

18. Silevesq

Silevesq

Oct 2, 2010
    Quebec
    I'm wondering how they are going to react with time. I can't remember the obligato's I had. But I remember that my EP felt almost like "round wound" string and dirt would get stock in the crack and make the string dull. Is this one more like a "flat wound"?

19. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Nailed it!

20. labravajazz

labravajazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    Me too

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021