1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Comparing Sherlock to Elementary.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BawanaRik, Jun 4, 2014.

1. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I just got the first season of Elementary out of the library. Iam current with Sherlock and this is a chance to compare the two.

I prefer the BBC product. They seem to sneak in various references to the canon. I like that.

And the show is just better. And that even given that it looks like they us NYC for Elementary. It's hard to beat NYC , the greatest city in the world.

BBC, good job. No, great job.

2. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    There's been a few Sherlock and Elementary threads over the years. Perhaps you've been on 'vacation' when they've aired.

Anyway...Sherlock just about one of the best things the NBC have produced in years, along with the Dr Who reboot.

Elementary - for different reasons - is also a great show. Third series just finished, and a fourth has been commissioned.

Not missed an episode of either, and Sherlock in particular stands up to repeat viewings.

Makes the license fee worthwhile.

3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    "The NBC".
    Congrats! You made an American TV network sound like a British Mod group from 1963.

Darth Handsome likes this.
  4. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    They're both good. I actually watched the Cumberbatch one after it was recommended on TB a ways back.

The Sick Boy one has gotten kinda same old same old to me. Mrs Handsome tapes them but whenever she suggests we watch an episode, I don't really want to anymore.

5. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    I still say 'tape', even though I haven't had a VHS player for about 20 years.

Darth Handsome likes this.
  6. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch have been performing in a stage production of Jekyll & Hyde, the twist being they take turns each night swapping and playing each character.

Tis brilliant.

7. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

You're making this up. They are not. Are they?

8. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Feb 14, 2011
    NW England
    My bad. They are not.

It's Frankenstein. It's a while since I saw it.

Directed by Danny Boyle IIRC.

9. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg

Whenever I say "Sick Boy", I try to sound Scottish.

10. They are both fantastic programs, but Sherlock is aimed at slightly smarter people. One of my bestest friends likes Elementary but I'd never recommend Sherlock to him because it requires faster brain function, which he doesn't possess and I barely do. It helps if I watch them twice.:unsure:

11. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    When I was in sixth grade, I painted Snoopy in a Sherlock Holmes hat on a wall in Beacon Heights Elementary, where I attended, and captioned it with some lame joke about "Elementary my Dear Watson," that in some way pertained to the school. It was one of two such projects I did. When I attended Wayzata Sr. High, in the art room I painted a Cousin It-like hippie holding a protest sign that said "Think Abstract, Man."

I do not know if either still exists.

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I watched the first two episodes of Sherlock and was blown away. Fantastic show. Great acting, great storytelling. The music is a little lacking. That's my one criticism. Never seen Elementary.

13. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    Both are good, but Lucy is awful. Endlessly making a pouty poopface and talking without your lips moving is not acting. I was a bit of a fan of hers, noting that she is often better than the vehicle around her, but in this case she gets eaten by every scene and every other actor. Also, Sherlock endlessly nods to the novellas/short stories of the original Holmes characters, which I find a big plus. That is one issue with the rebootings of classic characters that really bugs me. I thought the Downey flicks were great/fun movies, but absolutely not Sherlock Holmes.

14. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i asked my daughter. she replied:
    "'Sherlock' is a million jillion times better than 'Elementary'. You can quote me on that. Even if you ignore the superior writing and more intriguing character portrayals, Sherlock is infinitely better at portraying the Sherlock-Watson bromance."
    makes sense.

15. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Basil Rathbone was Sherlock Holmes. The rest are posers. period.

bigfatbass, kesslari and sissy kathy like this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Have you seen Sherlock? Cumberbatch does a great job.

kesslari likes this.
  17. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yes, It's pretty good. Elementary I don't care for. But I'm an old get off my lawn geezer and I grew up on the old British Sherlock Holmes movies.
    Just like Sean Connery is 007. The others are posers all.

18. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    What Gorn Captain did.
    While I grew up on the Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce combo, they haven't aged well. Nigel's Watson was too bumbling and dumbed down, makes it a bit sad to watch now. Holmes should be brilliant standing next to smart people, and not have to have an idiot sidekick to show his brilliance.
    Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman do the duo proud.

19. In TV world, I prefer Sherlock to Elementary, but the Jeremy Brett series is still the best for me.

Turock likes this.
  20. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    True enough, but to make the hero look good is what it is all about. It was done all the time in that era. Look at sidekicks for Roy Rogers - Andy Devine, The Cisco KId - Pancho,
    The Lone Ranger - Tonto, Gene Autry - Smiley Burnett and later Pat Butram. Superman had Jimmy. Lash LaRue had Fuzzy Q. Jones.
    And all of us... we have drummers.:facepalm:

kesslari likes this.